Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Obs and statements

Hi can I pick your brains about observation. When you make an observation on a child do you only assign it to statements you know they haven't achieved. We have a very large intake and especially for our T.A's it is hard for them to know where every child is working. Does it matter if they make an observation and assign say 30-50 points to it even though they have already achieved them?

Thanks in advance

We are always on the look out for 'significant learning' but to say a child is working at a particular level you need to see them working within this level 'consistently.' We don't use the statements as a tick list - we link to statements if appropriate but just assign an age and stage if not directly linked to a statement. The observations and knowledge of the child over a period of time allows me then to make a judgement as to whether they are emerging, developing or secure within the age and stage. Having similar observations isn't necessarily a problem but is maybe not the best use of TAs time. Could you maybe produce a list of aspects that you need observations on for each child? And what age and stage you know they are already working at?

We try to get observations of children across all aspects and written evidence always feels better but we do use our knowledge of the child to make judgements.

Not sure this helps,

Green Hippo x

• 2 weeks later...

We use Tapestry as a two part tool - one to help to involve parents in their child's education so I like to show as much as possible going on in out unit. To these observations I like to add assessments, even if they are repeated I feel it makes our judgments more secure and evidenced. My assessments are hidden from parents so they don't see this overlap they just enjoy seeing their children.

I use the next steps tools in Tapestry to inform my plans and have key children( the tools in Tapestry are so amazing!) I am then on the look out for to show significant learning (normally for groups of children but also for individuals)and that is what would be listed for my TA and I to be looking out for.

It's got to be manageable whatever you are doing. If it is easier for your set up to record all observations in the hope that you will be ticking off new ones and hopefully making your current judgements more secure. As long as you have next steps in mind this would work for me... and indeed does.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)