Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

1 more/less - ideas?

Hello all,

I need to do some work on finding 1 more or less than a given number with my class. I feel like I've been doing the same activities for forever and would like to freshen things up a bit. Have any of you any ideas/activities/enhancements that you've used to support this objective that you'd be happy to share?

from pintrest

ZAP IT!

bucket of lolly sticks with numbers on ...the children have to take a stick and tell what the number above (then below on another day!!) ...if they get a zap it stick they have to put them pack in the bucket......try to get all the sticks out!

• Like 2

Use number mats or chalk the nos on ground. Adult tells child to go to a number e.g. one less than 3 - child works it out and stands on number. Can extend through swapping with someone 1 more then you etc etc. Also do this with addition etc,

cx

• Like 1

Thank you! Just what I needed. I use lollipop sticks for all sorts of mental maths things for my Y1s - mine are colour coded so it's easy to differentiate but I haven't got the Zap it! Element which makes it much more interesting. Also an outside idea - brilliant to encourage my TA who is very reluctant about working outside and with less structure! Really appreciate it.

I think it's also good to check understanding though calculation too - do children really know that 5 is one less than 6 because you have removed 1 to get a total of 5? Can they explain how they get the answer which is 1 more or less, or 2 more/less etc. It's also a good way to explore odds and evens, using arrays of 2s, so you can see the variation between odds/evens where odds have the "odd" extra count in the total.

Number patterns are really great fun!!

Cx

More thank yous! Catma, you're making me think of using numicon which my children love but we haven't done much beyond making number lines with it. I'm thinking of pick a piece at random then find the piece that is one more or less.

I used dice and dominoes alot too for this, one more or less than the number thrown or on the domino. You can also record and then children can work independently!

Here is the sheet I use with my higher ability nursery children.

More or fewer.pdf

Thank you for that DevonMaid. Jacquie - I hadn't even thought of that and usually I make that distinction (ever since I actually discovered what the difference was!). Both the ELG and the 2014 National Curriculum (Y1 programme of study for maths) use less in this context.

• 4 months later...

from pintrest

ZAP IT!

bucket of lolly sticks with numbers on ...the children have to take a stick and tell what the number above (then below on another day!!) ...if they get a zap it stick they have to put them pack in the bucket......try to get all the sticks out!

I know it's a while since I posted this but I wanted to update with a variation. We were revisiting this again today and my lolly sticks have gone AWOL. So, I grabbed a pack of playing cards - if you got a red card you had to say the number one less, a black card was one more. The picture cards zapped it - the children loved it and I had loads of requests to play again this afternoon. In fact I'm thinking of writing up the instructions such as they are and sending home to parents with ideas of how they could play for all sorts of different number facts.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)