Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numicon in nursery

Does anyone have Numicon in their nursery?

Couple of questions - I have looked at various sets - what is best for our 2-5 year old group? How well used is it in your setting? Is it adult led only? Do you feel it's worth it, as its quite expensive?

Maths is everywhere in our setting. We pride ourselves on this aspect but I've been thinking of buying this resource for a while. I need some advice from those that have used it , so can you let me know what you think please.

Thanks.

V

Many schools use it across their EYFS phase which would cover your 3 - 5 age group. It's very tactile and does support children to make the connections within number bonds etc.

For the ancient around us it's the same principle as cuisenaire rods or dienes!!

Cx

My lea are heavily supporting numicon ...but im still not sure it's right for us. I have children from two and a half who love things like this to transport...my fear is that it will disappear into the mud kitchen quite quickly!...unless it was adult led all the time (quite tricky at the moment!) so interested in others experience too

I have used numicon in a number of settings and it is brilliant. Great for the children to really see the whole number and brilliant for adding together. it is the first thing I bought when setting up a school nursery. They have songs for each numicon. I would recommend the baseboards with lots of a set of Numicon for your areas. The children in my nursery would come in each morning and work at their level on a give task e.g. top group might make 15 using 2 numicon.

We use numicon in school - our children also love making patterns and pictures on the base boards. We use it for weighing - the tiles balance well so that 5 and 5 weighs the same as a 10, for counting using the pegs to go into the holes and then for calculations. It is tough enough to be used in the sand, water and dough, inside and out. some of my pegs have been in the mud kitchen - as 'pasta' I think, but were fine after a wash. The pegs fit on fingers to help make the connection between counting and fingers. I find it very useful and use it often, and it's always readily available as part of our Maths continuous provision.

We did agree as a school what to call each colour (most are obvious but mint green and lilac caused a bit of a discussion)

Catma, I remember Cuisinaire with great affection, and still use the rods I have!! They got 'forgotten' at the back of a cupboard until they came back into fashion!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)