Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hepatitis B Injection

Hi,

I was just wondering if you could share with me if your settings ensure all practitioners have the Hep B injections? Since I started at my provision 20 years ago we have always offered this to new employees. However, with funding cuts this has now been withdrawn. So I just wanted to see whether it's something other settings offer and also if it is a requirement for us as employers to offer it to them.

Thanks in advance

Nicky

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/hepatitis-b-vaccine.aspx looking very quickly at this, I can't see why I would need to have an injection?I see the risk from contact with body fluids, but as we wear aprons, gloves etc and everything is double bagged before disposal, surely the risks would be miniscule?

Edited by narnia

This came up at our setting a year or so back when we had a little boy with diabetes and I pricked my finger on his needle! After calling the dr's he looked at the child's history etc and said I didn't need to go in for the jab - I asked if it was something we should be doing as a process for all staff anyway and he said "yes if you want to pay £75 per person" but no we didn't actually need to as the risk was minimal.....

• Like 1

Hep b is usually recommended for those working in the care sector ie residential care , I had mine over 20 years ago and the booster but not since having not worked in residential care.

Hep C is the one to worry about , sadly my sister was diagnosed this year with it , her previous doctors failed to notice or tell her about her abnormal liver functions several years ago and only her new doctor recognised and sent her for the blood tests. They call it the silent killer , she has severe cirrhosis of the liver and is starting treatment this week.

We have learned that doctors will not test for Hep C as it costs approx £15 compared to normal blood tests, for those who may have had tattoos, piercings or Botox be warned and very careful.

On a positive note some countries test before they allow you to reside there and some of us have it and get rid of it without knowing . Visit the hepatitisc trust for any more info.

Sorry for hijacking post !

• Like 1

Hep C is the one to worry about , sadly my sister was diagnosed this year with it , her previous doctors failed to notice or tell her about her abnormal liver functions several years ago and only her new doctor recognised and sent her for the blood tests. They call it the silent killer , she has severe cirrhosis of the liver and is starting treatment this week.

All good wishes for your sister lashes.......

• Like 1