Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Consultation: Better inspections for all?

mundia

Plans for a single inspection framework for all early years settings, schools and FE, outlined in this consultation.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/better-inspection-for-all-consultation-proposals-for-new-framework-for-inspection-of-schools-further

As always if you have a view, have a voice.

Lets get discussing. Is this a good or bad idea for early years?

What are the questions you want answered?

Does this level the playing field or not?

What do you think?

• Like 1

I've had a quick read. Just a couple of things i am concerned about

Inspectors- I see no mention of bringing EY inspections back inhouse...I thought Mr W had promised to look into this...

Same inspection framework- yes, but it will only be "the same" if no notice inspections apply to all, which it looks like will not be the case.

will re read in the morning with a fresh pair of eyes.

• Like 1

My thoughts too eyfs1966, no mention of whether school based eyf provision will go 'no notice' or no school based settings will get notice, it will never be a level playing field until that is addressed.

It must be a good thing for school eyf units to have stand alone judgements and have their hard work recognised.

Does this include reception classes to or just pre-reception provision ?

My thoughts too eyfs1966, no mention of whether school based eyf provision will go 'no notice' or no school based settings will get notice, it will never be a level playing field until that is addressed.

It must be a good thing for school eyf units to have stand alone judgements and have their hard work recognised.

Does this include reception classes to or just pre-reception provision ?

EYFS classes can't be inspected outside of the whole school as they are simply part of the school! Therefore they can't be "no notice" because the school inspection framework is currently half a day notice. School provision is not registered with Ofsted like a private provider has to be registered.

YEs the inspection judgement is for the whole EYFS phase in a school, regardless of this being 1 reception class or a multi-form entry unit. Unless you are a Nursery school in which you have the school report and the EYFS section is not completed as the school is the EYFS.

Cx

Edited by catma

Thanks catma, I tend to think no notice for all would be good, but then i think i'd like a half today to organise in my head and make notes about what i want to show/tell the inspector....instead of just getting brain freeze and know you have everything in place and can lay your hands on in seconds any day of the week until the inspector says 'can i see that'....and i'd quite like to tidy the office before showing them in and obviously phone a few parents and say we're closed tomorrow due to an emergency :)

• Like 5

surely the answer then catma is for all of us to have half a days notice? would that not make it more fair?

Indeed - you're also welcome to the full 2 day inspection, formal meetings to grill govs to ensure their capability, formal parent questionnaires, staff questionnaires, meetings with the LA and possible forced conversion to academy status if you are not good enough as well to make it really fair!! :ph34r: B)

Indeed - you're also welcome to the full 2 day inspection, formal meetings to grill govs to ensure their capability, formal parent questionnaires, staff questionnaires, meetings with the LA and possible forced conversion to academy status if you are not good enough as well to make it really fair!! :ph34r: B)

Ah yes i get the message! Although i have had a two day inspection as a pre-school before! with formal questionnaires too :o I am in a fortunate position that some of my trustees are governors as well and some are qualified teachers...but i know this is rare.

I don't really think we will ever achieve true parity for lots of reasons and i certainly do not want this to turn in to a them and us conversation :( I'm not trying to cause any offence,,,this jobs difficult enough :blink: :blink:

• Like 3

I do wonder if the length of notice is the one of the main key issues? Its obviously close to people's hearts?

But, my bigger concerns are with the actual inspection process and who carries them out once we have a single framework. If its the current inspection teams who will carry them out (and we have no evidence at the moment to suggest otherwise), will we really get a level playing field for say, inspection of two year old provision in schools, ( as part of whole school inspections), and inspection of non maintained settings? So will having a single framework really give parity? Are we looking forward (!!) to a time when all inspectors will inspect anything, so your EY inspector could be inspecting the 6th form college and vice versa? Is this what we want?

I don't have the answers, just some starting questions, but these are perhaps some of the things we need to be thinking about as we respond to the consultation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)