Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interventions

Hi All

I have been recently asked to look at early intervention programmes for F1 children in the area of speaking, listening and understanding. We use the ECAT material I was wondering if anybody else has anything they could share. In true SMT style my suggestions have to have measurable outcomes that can be used to show the intervention has narrowed the gap.

Thanks

Stories for talking is very good. We assess the children before we start on things like...

How many key word instructions they can follow

Can they talk about what is happening in a picture

Can they retell a basic story

Can they answer who, what, where questions etc.

Then we run the intervention 4 days a week for 6 weeks then reassess, that's how we measure it.

• Like 1

Yes I do - mmm it very much depends on the child; I have put some children into BLAST and seen little or no impact and for others it has improved listening and understanding as well as confidence and self-esteem. I had a WoW! moment last week when a child, who attends BLAST, was looking at some number line cards; she turned them upside down then said to me "Close your eyes ... don't peep .. now open them ... what's gone?! I know it's very tricky but I'm trying to teach you ... your only a grown-up". And no, she did not get that last bit from my TA!

The children, and adults, seem to enjoy the first 3 weeks, but after that it gets a little time consuming with lots of waiting around for the children, so we do have to adapt some of the activities.

There is now a BLAST 2 - aimed at F2, I believe.

ICAN do a short programme to run with parents so they can work with children at home.

It's part of the ICAN toolkit and we are going to run it over two or three weeks in the Spring term.

It just gives a different angle to supplement the direct interventions we do with children - ours are based on the ECAT materials.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)