Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spiritual Development

What would you think of as 'spiritual well-being?

I am looking at a statement that says "Children's health is an integral part of their emotional, mental, social, environmental and spiritual well-being..."

All the others I understand, but I'm a bit flummoxed by 'spiritual well-being".

From 'Deep-level-learning and the Experiential Approach in Early Childhood and Primary Education', Ferre Laevers, 2005

"Value education

Within the EXE-project the concept of ‘linkedness’ is the expression of a deep concern for the development of a positive orientation towards reality. It offers a point of reference for the whole of value education.

Linkedness with the eco-system in its entirety is essentially a religious concept, in the broadest sense of the word. Etymologically, ‘re-ligion’ (re-liare) means ‘linking again’. As “de-linquency” means “the lack of being linked”, the basic sense of ‘connectedness’ can be seen as the cornerstone of prevention of criminal behaviour or of any action that brings damage to things and people. One who feels connected with something would not act as a vandal.

When the concept is elaborated at the level of early childhood, primary and secondary education, children are helped to develop this attitude of linkedness with (1) themselves, (2) the other(s), (3) the material world, (4) society and (5) the ultimate unity of the entire eco-system."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)