Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Contracts for Bank staff

Just wondered, does anyone have bank staff that they give contracts to. We have an ex member of staff who is taking a break, but will come in as and when we need her, what, if any, kind of contract does she need. If you do issue a contract or similar, I would love a cheeky sneaky peak!

I used to be given a '100 hours' contract, once my 100 flexible hours had run out ..... this coul be in a matter of weeks or months I was given another contract.

You could do a small amount of hours ? 5 or 10 then just renew contract hours once these have run out?

Edited by louby loo

I've never given a contract to people who come in and help out now and again due to shortages - didn't know you had to?!

I do often wonder about their CRB though, for example my relief member of staff was an ex-employee who had her original check done with us - as she may only work a couple times a year I don't get a new one, what do others do in this instance?

I've never given a contract to people who come in and help out now and again due to shortages - didn't know you had to?!

I do often wonder about their CRB though, for example my relief member of staff was an ex-employee who had her original check done with us - as she may only work a couple times a year I don't get a new one, what do others do in this instance?

Well Thumper, this is the spot I am in. I don't feel a contract is the right thing, but maybe a zero hours contract keeps them linked to the pre-school to enable all their previous experience, crb, intact. My thoughts were what would Ofsted say if she happened to be working that day. Do I keep her named named on all official papers as a member of staff? I guess I would.

I assume if the group used agency staff, then this would be covered by the agency.

Well Thumper, this is the spot I am in. I don't feel a contract is the right thing, but maybe a zero hours contract keeps them linked to the pre-school to enable all their previous experience, crb, intact. My thoughts were what would Ofsted say if she happened to be working that day. Do I keep her named named on all official papers as a member of staff? I guess I would.

I assume if the group used agency staff, then this would be covered by the agency.

I never 'got rid' of any of her paperwork or inform anyone that she had left, I keep her photo on the board as 'relief staff'

BUT

I also wonder about things like changes in curriculum as she doesn't keep up with the latest statutory stuff either, she is a fab practitioner who should never have left the workforce but she could earn more money cleaning and that is what she left us to do, as she needed the money. I can't expect her to keep current with all the latest requirements if I'm only going to use her 2 or 3 times a year for holiday/sickness cover.

You can guarantee she will be on duty when Ofsted call and whilst her practice is fab her knowledge will be out of date :(

We offer our relief staff opportunities to go on courses - we pay for the course (we've always had to pay for LA training) they are not paid whilst on the course though- but It's their choice to go, and they usually do .

They are always invited to in-house training sessions, nights out etc.

My 100 hours contracts would sometimes last over a year when I first started working there- it was part of a large company work place nursery, so I guess my contract had to fit in with all employees.