Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Place For Every Child

Rea

I didnt quite catch the news this evening, but did I hear that the Govenment plan for every child to have a nursery place? The reporter was in a nursery in London and was speaking to a minster I think. Did anyone say how it would be funded and where they will get the staff from or when it is supposed to be implemented, and what age group they are aiming at? The youngsters I have seen entering childcare recently are there because the schools dont know what else to advice them to do. I dont know how the Government hope to make something like this work if the people in the job are earning little over minimum wage, what exactly do they expect the level of motivation and committment will be unless more money is made available to providers. My friend manages a nursery which on a good month makes just £500 and thats before resources and equipment have been bought/replaced. The report also said (I think) that anyone caring for 6-8 year olds will have to be Oftsed inspected. :o

Rea,

Not sure about a place for every child, but I am guessing that the bit about those caring for 6-8 year olds was in response to the recent consultation document suggesting that childminders and out of school providers would not have to be registered with Ofsted, but could go on the voluntary Childcare Register.

The Government has now reconsidered this part after a huge outcry by childcare providers/organisations and childminders/ Out of School Clubs will still have to register for children up to the age of 8.

At least, that's my understanding of how things stand at the moment.

RB x

Thanks Steve. Not going at it by halves are they? All children up to the age of 15 in a wrap around care place by 2010? Can just see my lads going anywhere other than home at the end of the school day!! Still like to know how it's going to be funded though. There is a Sure Start centre near me that the grapevine is saying may close as their government funding is about to end and one not far away couldnt pay £3.75 fee for a child they sent to us a couple of years back. I'll wait to see if any of it happens and if it does how long it lasts. :o:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)