Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'Going back' to YR/1 but in a new school and everything's

Starting a new job in September and after 4 years in KS2, I'm going to be teaching YR/1 again which I'm quite excited about apart from the fact that I don't know anything about the changes to EYFS and the more I try to find out, the more muddled I get!

A friend told me all about Tapestry which I got v excited about (new school have just got new iPads) but then when I spoke to my current school's YR/1 teacher, she told me that they don't do observations any more and just assess at the end of each term against DM. I know the days of the Post-it notes may have gone, but I still expected some sort of observations?

If school's don't observe YR children, why are online assessment apps like 2Build a Profile and Tapestry so popular?

Please, please can someone tell me where to find everything I need to know before my new school realise that my brilliant interview was all smoke and mirrors!

Thank you! :1b

I thought that there had to be evidence to back up your assessments though.... My school changed this year and instead of having one folder they have 3. One for numeracy evidence, one for CLL and one for everything else. In them are photos, post its and they stick in a lot of the children's work. I must admit I was dubious it would work but it really has. Evidence is easy to find. They write the code for the areas under the obs etc and mark off what they have achieved on an overview grid. The moderator was very happy with this method.

• Like 1

I think there is no rule, it is what you need and how you want to do it. I still have learning journeys ans still use observations, I have cut down on long obs and my obs are perhaps not as detailed just key assessment points. In lie EYFS cluster we all do something different and over the last two years all 8 of us have had invididual moderation and all done well. I think it's about a system that works for you. Perhaps the way forward is to ask some local colleagues about their systems and see which suits the way you want to work.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)