Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Measuring progress

I am attempting to undertake an analysis of our childrens data from the on entry assessment to the end of year assessment and I was just wondering .. How do other people measure this/ identify what is an expected level of progress / what is better than expected ie: if a child enters at 30-50s and leaves at 40-60 s would you see this as 1 age band progress - but then add in their EYFSP score - ie if they scored a 1 - this would still be 1 band progress or if they scored a 2 then it would be 1band + progress / if a 3 then 1 band ++ progress.

I am trying to show that although some of our profile scores do not meet nationals from last year the children have still made good progress from their on entry assessment.

I'm sorry if this sounds really confusing - I'm in a real muddle and have to get this info sorted for Monday!!!!!

Any help or advice gratefully received xxxx

The section 5 inspection subsidiary guidance gives you a lot of detail on how Ofsted look at this in schools.

Did they come in at a stage of development typical for their age? Given that all children starting Rec in September will be 48+ months then we can reasonably expect to be emerging into the 40 - 60+ emerging as typical. However a child who is already 5 would be 60+ months so could be better than that. Some may be 30 - 50 securing but would still have to get to the ELGs so their progress would have to be be a little better.

There is no "rule" to work it out as there are no sub levels etc in EYFS.

You will have to decide if some, a majority or most (80%+ in Ofsted speak) come in at, below or very below levels typical for their age.

Then you should look at how much you have closed the gap - did a greater 5 of your belows achieve the ELG? How did boys do vs girls on entry? Did the gap close on exit?

It's a bigger picture, and low attainment may not mean it isn't good progress for some groups. Conversely If they all come in at a typical level and leave at a typical level (ELG) this would not be good progress, even if you were above national for GLD!

Cx

• Like 1

Thanks Catma - Sorry to appear a little thick ..... Just to clarify .... I will need to look at each strand for the areas of learning - then identify the % that came in at expected (40-60) or below (30-50 or below) .... Then look at which ELG they achieved ..1/2 or3 and from that say if progress was expected or below?

For examples have a child in making relationships who entered at 40-60 emerging and left on a 3 .... Would his progress be good or expected??

I'm sooooooo confused .... Why can't there be an easier way???

It's all done on professional judgement as their experiences before reception can be so varied - some children may have never been in any pre-school environment for example.

If they were emerging into 40 - 60+ but got to exceeding then I would say this was generally good progress. The same if they came in below 40 - 60 but got to the ELG.

You could also look at the % who were on track in the GLD outcomes and compare your GLD to see if more made it to that as well.

Cx

The whole 'Good Progress' thing really upsets me - if children make the EXPECTED progress that they are supposed to make then surely we are doing a 'good' job and the children are making good progress. Why is it not enough for children to be expected? What is the point in having an assessment system based on a typically developing child then say it's not enough, children need to be better than this? I've seen this all through the school this year as I've worked with year 2 and year 6 as well as Nursery. Then we don't want too many children to make better than expected progress or the next key stage can't show good progress for enough children!!

How many children would have to make 'good progress' for Ofsted to judge that children in that year group make good progress?

It almost seems harder in a school where most children come in as average to show good progress.

Sorry for the rant

Green Hippo x

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)