Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing from PLA constitution

I am looking to change my preschool constitution from PLA to another that enables staff to be on the committee and not be too demanding on how many parents should be on there too. I find it impossible to get parents to join the committee,even when I threaten them with closure, so am looking to put down in writing that a certain number of parents,staff and 'outside' people make up the committee. I do realise we need parents input but its so hard to get any to sign up,the age old problem.

Has anyone changed their constitution from the PLA and is willing to share with me? Time is running out and the chair and treasurer (who are parents) have as usual left everything to me to do on top of my every day work!

I am slightly panicking so any help and advice will be gratefully received.

• Like 1

We are also stuck with pla rules re committee but I think you will find you can have 2 members of staff on committee but they cannot be chair secretary or treasurer so I you still need 3 parents . We also find it impossible . I asked advice about changing and essex buisness team were helpful . They said you can write up your own constitution using the pla one as a template. Just inform everyone what you are doing and. Charities commission would have to approve new constitution You would not have support of law call if you are not a pla member maybe you could arrange it yourself ! And you would pay more for insurance . We are considering it we get no help at all from pla and their construction is no longer realistic

This comes up so much now. Firstly the PSLA constitution DOES allow for staff to be committee- it was amended some years ago to include this. They also advised all groups that were running to a psla constitution that these changes were happening. Secondly you do not have to have a PSLA constitution to be members. We have always been members and committee run but have never adopted their constitution, we have always had our own. Thirdly changing your constitution, it's not quite as simple as just informing all of what you are doing. You need to see what your constitution says about changes and then follow that.

This comes up so much now. Firstly the PSLA constitution DOES allow for staff to be committee- it was amended some years ago to include this. They also advised all groups that were running to a psla constitution that these changes were happening. Secondly you do not have to have a PSLA constitution to be members. We have always been members and committee run but have never adopted their constitution, we have always had our own. Thirdly changing your constitution, it's not quite as simple as just informing all of what you are doing. You need to see what your constitution says about changes and then follow that.

And then get it approved by the Charities Commission ........

We adopted the PSLA constitution in 2008 so staff could be on the committee, and I think a new one came out in 2011 to further clarify this. I've just been voted back on to the committee for the second time and I'm the Supervisor. Just can't vote on things such as staff wages, etc.

• 1 month later...
Guest itsnoelquinn

An accountant can do this for you and you can do it yourself. It's relatively straightforward but a LOT of admin but the good news is ... We can do this for you! Changing status is more and more common now and we have been working with groups to get them there - for all the reasons you raise. Contact me if you want on gill@noelquinn.co.uk or 07887720044. No obligation - we can just talk about it and see if it is right for you before you commit. We can also give you contacts from other pre schools who have done it so they can give you the low down

Gill Quinn

Noel Quinn Ltd.

That sounds really good, Gill. How does that work then? Do you talk preschools through the steps they need or do you do everything for them?

Not sure if I dare ask how much something like that costs .......

Edited by Cait

Guest itsnoelquinn

Hello Cait! I just typed a long reply but it's disappeared! If you get this twice - apologies

Yes we talk you through it but yes we do it all for you but of course we also need your input for the info we need. Tracey, my colleague would handle this and would talk to you first to explain the different models and what it would involve. You can then make the decision whether or not to go ahead. Settings who have done this have found it to be the best choice but it is important that you have the right info to make the right decisions. It costs £1800 end to end.

If you would like to email me and I will arrange for Tracey to have a chat with you but you are under no obligation. My email is gill@noelquinn.co.uk and our website is noelquinn.co.uk if you'd like to check us out!

Whatever you decide Cait do make sure you get sound advice before embarking on what is a quite complex but very rewarding journey. I am happy to give you contacts of other pre schools we have helped by the way so do get in touch

All the best Cait! Look forward to hearing from you

Gill

Hi Gill, welcome to the forum :) £1800 is way and above anything we could afford, when I eventually get round to talking to the committee about it I'll rely on the advice from people on here who have already changed I think ;)

• Like 4

Guest itsnoelquinn

Hi Rea thanks for welcoming me to the forum! I do understand - we take care of all legal aspects and of course this is a complex process and takes time to make sure that we get all the admin and detail done so that you can carry on the childcare and early years service. I wish you well and hope you get the right advice to make the best decisions. There are many models you can choose from that work best for your pre school so explore all the options and you will find the one that works for you. All the best for the future!

I don't think you will find many of us on here who could afford £1800 - that is a staggering amount for us. We are in the process of becoming a Community Interest Company. We didn't renew our PLA membership this year,so we are no longer burdened by their constitution. It's a fairly simple process - just time consuming and lots of paperwork - but then we are all used to a lot of paperwork So far, all I can see we have to pay for is an accountant - the rest we are doing ourselves.

• Like 2

Guest itsnoelquinn

Hello mega mum! Yes it's a lot of work and as you say, time consuming so that is why when you quantify it costs this much to pay someone like us to do it for you. Anyway hope all goes well for you with the new structure!

Gill

Hi, we changed our constitution from 60% parents and 40% non parents to 40% parents and 60% non parents ..... This helped abit as I meant we could have people who didn't have children in my setting as committee members. I would say that it is better to have as many parents as possible tho on the committee. There was a bit of paper work involved and a meeting to adopt the new constitution and then the charities commission had agree it.

Guest itsnoelquinn

It's a good step to make that constitution work for you rather than prevent progress! It makes perfect sense to draft in non- parents otherwise the people running the business have a vested interest in keeping fees low! The fees are usually already too low as it is so it's good to have an objective set of eyes on the books. Good luck with the future. I have some handy recruitment ideas for getting new members - feel free to email me and I'll send them to you. Gill@noelquinn.co.uk.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)