Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role play dinosaur museum

Hi

Following on from children's interests in dinosaur, we want to set up a dinosaur museum role play.

We want it to include a variety of dinosaur themed discovery type activities, but also include the other areas of learning.

So far we have got:

• measuring toy dinosaurs
  • digging for fossils in soil and leaves- with magnifying glasses and brushes to brush off dirt
  • playdough- making dinosaur fossils

Has anyone got any other ideas of what we could add?

Thanks

You could hide some small dinosaurs in plaster of Paris and let them chip away to find the dinosaur. Make a dinosaur nest with paper mâché eggs, we have dinosaur board games which we play, we use tin foil to model dinosaurs, categorise dinosaurs by types, we dance as dinosaur stomp, or running very fast on our tip toes, they have cut up pictures and made their own dinosaur jigsaws

• Like 1

Guest suchfun

we made our own dinosaur eggs, with baby dinos hidden inside - they don't melt in the oven! we read Tom and the island of dinosaurs for inspiration but we have several budding experts too!

dinosaur egg recipe =

What you Need
(This recipe is for a small batch. I quadrupled this recipe to make lots of dino eggs)
•1 cup flour
•1 cup used coffee grinds.
Starbucks etc will give the coffee grinds.
•1/2 cup salt
•1/4 cup sand
•3/4 cup water
•mixing bowl
•small plastic toy dinosaurs or other treasures
I used small plastic dinosaurs and plastic diamonds
What you Do
Make sure you've dried out your coffee grinds beforehand.
I let it set out overnight. Our house smelled delicious!
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly add the water and knead with your hands until the mixture is like bread dough.
(You may need to add more flour and sand to make it a dough-y consistency.
I added MUCH more flour and sand and it still baked out fine)
3. When the Coffee Dough is at a very moldable state, shape your "dino eggs" around the dinosaur
4. You can air dry these for several days OR bake them on a metal tray with greaseproof paper on it, at 150 degrees for about 15-20 or until you poke them and they arent soft anymore.
(My dino eggs were fairly large, so I baked them for about 45 minutes
Have fun!
Jenni

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)