Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning journey book scrutiny

Hiya,

I am foundation stage leader of nursery and reception and been asked by HT to scrutinise the learning journeys. HAs anyone got a proforma they use to write their findings on/ report to teachers? I would reallly appreciate any help with proforma or advice on the best practice for learning journeys to take ours forward in both nursery and reception. Thanks in advance :-)

I don't have proforma but simply take a sample, unannounced. I look at things like:

• do the entries actually show learning or clear interests
  • how many observations are there over a given period
  • are they related to 7 areas of learning
  • is there a spread over all 7 areas (but with more for the prime areas, especially for younger children)
  • are the next steps for the child clear and appropriate
  • do they include 'the child's voice' especially showing their comments on their own learning
  • do they show parent's contributions
  • do the summative assessments give a genuine picture of the child and their development
  • do the 'best fit' judgements seem to be in the right age bands, considering the observations

Rather than giving a 'report' I then meet with the staff member concerned and ask them to look at their learning journeys and then ask some of these questions. I make sure I ask a spread of questions so some answers are encouraging and affirmative, and others are challenging. This way I feel it encourages staff to be more reflective about their own work - anyway, that is what they tell me. I hope they aren't just being polite! We keep notes which I then add to their staff file., agreeing 2 or 3 specific points for development

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)