Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sen Codes of Practice / Legislation

The DRAFT Code of Practice is available on the DfE website. It is unlikely to be significantly changed and Chapter 5 specifically relates to early years settings. It is wonderful that early years has been given such attention. :1b

Yes, the Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice 0 - 25 will be in place from September 2014. It was originally planned for the final version to be published by March of this year but as has already been said, this hasn't been the case and the current draft is out for consultation until May 6th. I've attached a copy of the draft code, the section on Early Years starts on page 66.

Statutory Assessments/Statements are being replaced by Education and Health Care Plans but as far as I can see, each Local Authority will set the eligibility criteria for children to access these so again, there will be postcode lottery. It also seems ridiculous that there isn't an agreed format for an Education and Health Care Plan and each Local Authority is spending hours writing and piloting their own versions.

Early Years Action/Action Plus have gone and there is now a graduated approach of assess, plan, do, review. There is no mention of IEPs although provision plans are mentioned.

There are interesting points about funding, including the following paragraph which unfortunately only uses the word "should" so again, funding will vary between local authorities.

Page 78
Funding for SEN support in the early years
5.54 Local authorities must ensure that all providers delivering funded early education places meet the needs of children with SEN and disabled children. In order to do this local authorities should make sure funding arrangements for early education reflect the need to provide suitable support for them.
If a child has an Education and Health Care Plan and parents want the child to attend a PVI setting, the Local Authority is required to fund this. I know in some Local Authorities, they are reluctant to fund support for a child at a PVI setting through a Statement so this is a positive move as far as I'm concerned.
Each Local Authority is required to publish a "Local Offer" so all parents are clear what's available in their local area, it will be interesting to read these when they're published.
This website http://www.specialneedsjungle.com/ (written by 2 parents who have children with SEN) is good and provides useful updates.
I'm going to the NASEN Live event at the end of May when the DFE are giving a briefing about the Code so I'll let you know if I find anything useful out!

Code_of_Practice_Draft.pdf

Yes, the Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice 0 - 25 will be in place from September 2014. It was originally planned for the final version to be published by March of this year but as has already been said, this hasn't been the case and the current draft is out for consultation until May 6th. I've attached a copy of the draft code, the section on Early Years starts on page 66.

Statutory Assessments/Statements are being replaced by Education and Health Care Plans but as far as I can see, each Local Authority will set the eligibility criteria for children to access these so again, there will be postcode lottery. It also seems ridiculous that there isn't an agreed format for an Education and Health Care Plan and each Local Authority is spending hours writing and piloting their own versions.

Early Years Action/Action Plus have gone and there is now a graduated approach of assess, plan, do, review. There is no mention of IEPs although provision plans are mentioned.

There are interesting points about funding, including the following paragraph which unfortunately only uses the word "should" so again, funding will vary between local authorities.

Page 78

Funding for SEN support in the early years

5.54 Local authorities must ensure that all providers delivering funded early education places meet the needs of children with SEN and disabled children. In order to do this local authorities should make sure funding arrangements for early education reflect the need to provide suitable support for them.

If a child has an Education and Health Care Plan and parents want the child to attend a PVI setting, the Local Authority is required to fund this. I know in some Local Authorities, they are reluctant to fund support for a child at a PVI setting through a Statement so this is a positive move as far as I'm concerned.

Each Local Authority is required to publish a "Local Offer" so all parents are clear what's available in their local area, it will be interesting to read these when they're published.

This website http://www.specialneedsjungle.com/ (written by 2 parents who have children with SEN) is good and provides useful updates.

I'm going to the NASEN Live event at the end of May when the DFE are giving a briefing about the Code so I'll let you know if I find anything useful out!

Thank you! I would be grateful to hear from you again, as due to a change of staff in our school, we have a bit of a vacuum and I don't feel properly in touch with the changes coming. Is it true, then, that there won't be IEEPs any more?

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will be up to each setting/school to decide on the best documentation to use so if IEPs meet your needs and the needs of the child and family then keep using them. I seem to remember reading that more guidance and examples of documentations would be published with the final Code but can't find the link at the moment. I'll post more information after the NASEN event.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)