Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EY2 DBS for committees

Guest Spiral

Yes they get a certificate and no, we don't get told anything!

oh ok, so far my committee member has received a letter saying they can 'make up part of the registered person' and that they've also written to me with their decision.

I've not received anything

My Committee member has only had the letter (came 4 working days ago) but no certificate

Woohoo! first committee DBS completed - the whole process started in April/May time - to verify

Committee member received a letter from Ofsted confirming she's part of registered person & a few days later a DBS certificate

Manager received Ofsted letter (a week later than comm member) confirming she can form part of registered person.

• Like 2

everything going ok so far with new group (fingers crossed) if it works i will post my 'how to' guide that i gave to the committee!

That would be really appreciated, even though we've done it, it took sooooo long and because committee member had to do everything at home we really did just muddle through this and I couldn't tell the next person how to do it!

• 2 weeks later...

Question I know I should know, but I'm confusdd and can't seem to find an answer... I took over as manager in September, not an official committee member although I attend meetings... do I need to do an EY2 also? We've had an awful time as only just discovered outgoing nominated person had not informed Ofsted of changes back in July as promised and I still can't talk to ofsted about getting set up for the SEF etc.... grrrr!

If you've got a committee, the Chair can get the token you need for the SEF. I get it for our manager.

As a member of staff you are allowed to be on the committee depending on what your constitution says but there is nothing to stop you from going to meetings as a member of staff only if the committee have no objection, I prefer staff to be involved in committee meetings, it ensures we're all singing form the same hymn sheet :1b

In all my years I've never heard it mentioned that staff on committee need to do an EY2, so I'm going to pretend I havent been made aware of the question! :ph34r::D

• Like 2

Thanks Rea. I won't say if you won't ;) Ofsted won't talk to the committee chair as she's not the nominated person, and they won't talk to the nominated person as she's not yet on their system as the nominated person. They won't talk to me until the nominated person says it's ok to do so... We are going round in circles!

• 1 month later...

It's now not going so well

1 CM sent in same envelope as others has still heard nothing, I am so fed up of asking cm's to chase them up themselves and get on with ey2's I decided to find out the status of all myself .......2 hours later, being sent from one phone number to another, and a lot of banging head against wall I still don't know and am here where I probably should have started in the first place ...Ofsted sent me to dbs, who sent me to capita, who asked for a registered body number (not Ofsted urn) beginning with a 2, I didn't have a clue what they wanted told me to go back and ask Ofsted, did so Ofsted didn't have a clue, told me to go back to capita clarify, ....I have now lost the will :'(

so my question is - who should I actually be contacting to check progress of CM checks ? will they tell me or only the individual? does anyone have a clue where I might find a number beginning with '2' ? why is this so much more complicated than staff checks...feeling aggravated :blink:

For me I'd say they will only speak to the individual as you have not submitted and have not got any form of ownership over the application as the individual submitted it and capita accept it where as with staff you authorise and see to the process starting and also getting the result. You should only be able to ask Ofsted who is on there books as a registered board member for the organisation. I often meet up with brick walls just to bang my head it's getting very regular lol

I've just had an email saying :

Unfortunately we are unable to process this application as we cannot submit DBS application forms for positions such as Directors, Headteachers, Committee Members, Owners, Company Secretaries, Chair Persons or Trustees via the setting; these positions must be carried out using the Ofsted route.

This is the 2nd attempt this committe emember has made to get her DBS, this time she went throught the Ofsted route so now I'm stumped.

I hate Ofsted and their stupid decision making people. Who on earth thought making DBS only available online would be a good idea?

• Like 5

Rea, my CM's had to go through their own Government Gateway. I tried to do it for 2/3 of them and we had it all thrown back at us. Consequently one said- I cant be bothered, one has done it and the other (my chair) got as far as having her ID verified and no further. I keep reminding her, she keeps forgetting to bring me stuff in. This has been going on since last September.

IF i remember rightly- go to ofstedonline- put in your (theirs) GG reg and click on EY2- whilst they are doing an EY2 a Q re DBS will come up and you will have the opportunity to link through to a DBS form. Of course this has all probably changed again!!

I am heartily sick of it and blame Ofsted- the one staff & volunteers I have done not involving Ofsted have all been straighforward and done in matter of days. They dont know what they are doing and need to make their minds up first and decide what the want before they start on us. I can just imagine what is going to happen at my next inspection-

I'm going to annoy people here (sorry) but I have had no issues with the route of obtaining one for 3 members now, only problem I come up against is getting them to find the time to do it x

Foreveryoung you obviously have it 'sussed' you can come and sort mine now then please xD

I'm now at the point where I don't want to encourage people to go on the committee because of the process!!! :angry:

• Like 3

Rea, my CM's had to go through their own Government Gateway. I tried to do it for 2/3 of them and we had it all thrown back at us. Consequently one said- I cant be bothered, one has done it and the other (my chair) got as far as having her ID verified and no further. I keep reminding her, she keeps forgetting to bring me stuff in. This has been going on since last September.

IF i remember rightly- go to ofstedonline- put in your (theirs) GG reg and click on EY2- whilst they are doing an EY2 a Q re DBS will come up and you will have the opportunity to link through to a DBS form. Of course this has all probably changed again!!

I am heartily sick of it and blame Ofsted- the one staff & volunteers I have done not involving Ofsted have all been straighforward and done in matter of days. They dont know what they are doing and need to make their minds up first and decide what the want before they start on us. I can just imagine what is going to happen at my next inspection-

Can i suggest you follow my post to get a dbs ...we have had no issues doing it this way at all. They have come through quickly and the members have been able to do all the steps without problem. The only difficulty is that they have to pay the small amounts and claim back.....so far so good ! no need for gateway account etc only need to do ID check

'Can i suggest you follow my post to get a dbs ...we have had no issues doing it this way at all. They have come through quickly and the members have been able to do all the steps without problem. The only difficulty is that they have to pay the small amounts and claim back.....so far so good ! no need for gateway account etc only need to do ID check'

Hi Finleysmaid...how are your cm's not having to get a gateway account to do the EY2's following the dbs check ?

mine have:

Completed dbs online > I have completed identity checks and returned (all sent in same envelope, 2 have received certs, 1 in progress, 1 not a b****y clue) > 2 registered for gateway account and completed EY2 (1 letter received, 1 in progress) :/

'Can i suggest you follow my post to get a dbs ...we have had no issues doing it this way at all. They have come through quickly and the members have been able to do all the steps without problem. The only difficulty is that they have to pay the small amounts and claim back.....so far so good ! no need for gateway account etc only need to do ID check'

Hi Finleysmaid...how are your cm's not having to get a gateway account to do the EY2's following the dbs check ?

mine have:

Completed dbs online > I have completed identity checks and returned (all sent in same envelope, 2 have received certs, 1 in progress, 1 not a b****y clue) > 2 registered for gateway account and completed EY2 (1 letter received, 1 in progress) :/

Sorry only talking about the DBS bit!

Finlaysmaid- if you read my post you will see gaining the DBS is no problem, it is the Ofsted EY2 for committee members that is causing us all so much problems. Unfortunately they insist that each CM goes through their own Government gateway- and that is a big part of the problem.

• Like 1

Well an update on my experience today. I have begun to complete a DBS and then the EY2 for a committee member at our setting. I rang Ofsted for clarification of the procedure in this instance. Okay so you need to go onto the Ofsted capita site first. Put in your Unique Ofsted code. Sign up for the ebulk system and update service this is free for volunteer committee members. Then complete sections 1,2. Make payment of £8.10 for volunteers.. The person will then receive an email to complete the EY2. Once this is verified and completed, we have filled in this by paper trail as we are unable to scan at the moment. This has now been posted. On acceptance of this. They will then need to sign up for the government gateway, they can then complete sections 3 and 4.

Why it's so complicated heaven knows but wish me luck.

Why is the government gateway section causing a problem Lynned55?

Edited by Fredbear

I just don't get why it is so much easier to complete staff ones than committee members, ok I get maybe officers need a thorough check, but all committee members would be welcomed into our settings as parents without the checks .....we are now practically half way through the school year and it will soon be time to start again, with some still yet to complete leaving :(

• Like 1