Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recognising numbers over 10 - any ideas?

I have a group of boys who are struggling to get to grips with recognising numbers over 10. Their counting is ok - will improve with practice but I want to put something specific in place to work on recognition. I'm completely out of ideas for activities or games to play though. Has anyone got any?! Ideally outside based. Particular interests include cars, planes/helicopters and guns. They really enjoyed a game we played recently where they had to squirt two numbers and add together to find their score but that is running out of steam a little!

I recently bought a UV 'black light' torch - they have really helped in developing an interest in searching for numerals. It comes with a pen which you use to write on a surface; the writing is invisible and shows up only when you shine the black light over it. The boys had great fun searching for numerals.

i have a group of paper aeroplane makers at the mo we then have test flights in the garden....the person who gets the furthest gets a point (though you could do 3 points for first 2 for second etc they then record this on the board and add up at the end...working well for us at the mo

Not specially outdoors but transport themed, my TA made a lotto game which ours like to play during CI time. They have to fill their bus by matching numbers, at the moment we are working on 13-18. They roll the 13-18 dice and say number, number lines available if needed, and select that number to match to their bus. The bit that pulls them in is that the passenger on the reverse is a child in our class as she has put their photos on and they are excited to see who they get on their bus. Brighter ones actually recall which number their friends are so more skill involved.

For basic quick number recognition, outside I call out numbers and they run to the milk crate with that number on.

Current interest is space, we made rockets with between 10 and 20 'windows' which they count and sort to numbered planets (drawn on ground).

Lots of ordering past 10, then I remove one for them to identify. Lots of repetition, some still not recognising all yet...

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)