Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

visitor book

Guest degplay

Guest degplay

hi, I have been told by my local authority advisors to change my visitors book, to one that has in it a column for 'identification checked' having spent two evenings trolling the internet, I have not been able to find one, is anyone using one? if so would you mind sharing where you bought it? thanks

Checking ID on those that would carry it is part of a visitors procedure so I don't see why you need to tick that you have done it. Unnecessary I feel.

We included on ours when we changed it and as Suer says it's only for theses who officially carry I.d all our visitors we either know or if from la or Ofsted carry I.d ,

Ours has: name , reason for visit, time in , I'd checked, mobile checked, time out , signature

Hi degplay and a very warm welcome to the forum :1b

I would be tempted to go back to your adviser and ask if he/she knows where you can buy such a visitors book........

Mine is just a very simple affair with forms that I make myself and bind - not sure if it would pass too close scrutiny :ph34r::D

• Like 1

Same here, we create our own.

I have the page by the door so staff, parents and visitors know who is coming in that day. I added an ID check column a year and a bit ago as a nursery I visited had one. I do sometimes find it difficult to ask for ID, but am getting used to it. Most prospective parents carry a drivers licence.

Lashes like the mobile phone policy at top. I have it on the door, but could easily be added to top of signing sheet.

Ours is an A4 ring bound notebook we've had for a least 5years, once the page is filled I randomly carefully use a rulers and make nice vertical off centre wobbly) columns.

'Tis very professional I tell you............ Ofsted didn't have a problem with it.

I've never really understood the car-reg bit either - unless for some reason you might need them to move it? If you were up to no good-surely you'd put any old car reg down anyway?

It's a bit the same with camera's/phones and staff. Again if someone was really that evil - would they not just swap a memory card in the setting's own camera?

xx

• Like 3

does anyone know where this info comes from? i am a regular visitor to local schools and have never been asked for my id! I can't imagine asking parents for ID it seems rather over the top to me...

I agree, I would only ever ask ID from say the meter reader, someone that may be left alone or wants access to any sensitive information - which is practically no one other than Ofsted and LA workers, both of whom have visible ID anyway.

• Like 1

I also ask for a contact telephone number, as someone said above so that I could notify visitors of any illnesses that might come to light after their visit. Also if they are ill while with us - say, for example, a visitor collapses; we would do first aid and call an ambulance but feel we would need to be able to tell their employer of next of kin what has happened to them.

I also ask for a contact telephone number, as someone said above so that I could notify visitors of any illnesses that might come to light after their visit. Also if they are ill while with us - say, for example, a visitor collapses; we would do first aid and call an ambulance but feel we would need to be able to tell their employer of next of kin what has happened to them.

goodness! I used to run restaurants.....i don't think my customers would have been happy with me asking for all of this as they entered the premises!...do you really think it's necessary? Most people would have id in their bag/phone if you needed it and i think it's a bit intrusive asking for phone numbers...i don't give that to anyone (after parent got hold of it one year!)

I'm not sure any of this is our responsibility...is it?

• Like 1

Guest degplay

thank you everyone. LA being over zealous at moment! I have known advisor for 4 years, greeted her as she came in, got 'told off' for not closely inspecting her badge to ensure it was in date!!! then proceeded to tell me I should be checking id whether I know people or not, just trying to tick everyone's boxes before next big O visit. may well make own too like many of you, just trying to cut down another form!!! love the forum, often check in to see what everyone's up to.

We were also told following our recent inspection that a member of staff needs to sign to confirm they have checked ID - I just created a simple form to replace the ones in our visitors book - just another thing to have to think about.

We were also told following our recent inspection that a member of staff needs to sign to confirm they have checked ID - I just created a simple form to replace the ones in our visitors book - just another thing to have to think about.

There we go then - even more pleased that I have used Stargrowers forms to make a new Visitors Log! :rolleyes:

Am I being naive here - I'm assuming (probably quite wrongly) that we are just required to ask who a visitor is when they arrive - just as we have always done - surely we are not expected to mug them for their driving licence, bank card or whatever - even as I'm typing I'm slowly realising that probably is the expectation :ph34r:

• Like 1

Am I being naive here - I'm assuming (probably quite wrongly) that we are just required to ask who a visitor is when they arrive - just as we have always done - surely we are not expected to mug them for their driving licence, bank card or whatever - even as I'm typing I'm slowly realising that probably is the expectation :ph34r:

But how do you know they are who it says on the ID? lets face it this is about safeguarding so is a pedophile likely to tell you they are john smith and give you id with tom jones on it...and what do you do if they dont have any id on them?. If your safeguarding measures say they are not to be left alone with the children at any time and you follow this...is this not enough?

• Like 2

I completely agree with you Finleysmaid. It would never occur to me to ring a visitor to tell them that on the day they came in to visit us a child would have been incubating chickenpox or anything else!! Goodness, they could pick it up in a shop, on a train, passing someone in the street. I certainly wouldn't be happy about giving my phone number to a place I was only visiting for an hour or so. I ask for name, reason for visit, time in & time out. Only ask for ID if an 'official'. Most 'prospective' parents probably wouldn't have ID on them, some of us still have driving licenses that dont contain a photo. If I visit a school I've never been asked for ID or my phone number. I do think some of these LA advisors are just being over zealous, what ever happened to common sense..

• Like 2

Just re-read this thread and I'm wondering where my 'feistyness' has gone :blink: once upon a time (not so long ago) I would have been firmly in the 'that's ridiculous and I'm not doing it' camp :D but now I just sigh a bit and then think OK I can 'play the game'.........a very wise EYAT used that phrase once and it stuck :1b 'just play the game' - yes, that's what I am going to do! :1b

• Like 1