Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Policies & Procedures

Guest nadzy

Guest nadzy

So I know that we all need them in nurseries and the answer to my question is probably 'how long is a piece of string' but is there a "good" amount when it comes to how many policies you should have in place and are there some policies that seem like a good idea but are probably just not needed?

Has anyone written their P&Ps from scratch and knows of any where online that can support writing policies?

I know the first step is to read through my current P&Ps and see what it really needed but then it gets to a point when I think everything is needed but it's a pretty hefty document and it's coming to a point when I need to revise what is really needed.

Any advice?

are you a member of a body ? the psla do a policy pack which is downloadable it gives you the ability to have the framework written for you and for you to personalise. Some of the policies may not be necessary for you or may have too much/too little information, but they are a good starting point and if you sign up they will send you current updates which means you keep up with legal changes.

We are with the ndna and they give you all the recommended policies online when you log in, you can just open and adapt. I do all the ones they recommend, it is a lot of work initially but I think they must suggest for a reason and once they are in place the reviewing doesn't take too long. They also send through an update sheet with changes to policies if for example there has been a change in legislation etc. Sounds similar to what Finleysmaid said, I always find it very useful to have a starting point! What I have done as well is spread them out so I started by doing them as the time was available eg one month I may have done 2, the next month 8 and the next month 0!!!! Then sent out to staff. This way they aren't all needing to be reviewed at the same time too!

Guest youngrisers

Preschool Learning Alliance have a book full of policies and procedures which can be adapted to suit your setting. Look on their website for book details.

There are so many online too which can be adapted as your own too.

Sorry to butt in, but do you guys give parents a copy of all policies when they join? We don't, we simply point them in the direction of the policy folder, but am wondering if perhaps we should give them all a hard copy.....

lizr you can ask your local authority. Ours which neighbours you have guidance.

The current EYFS states that parents need to have copies of Safeguarding, lost child, left behind child. We email these out. I am not sure they are on my website or at least not the reviewed ones anyway. (Must add that to my Easter to do!) At some stage all policies will be on the website, but yes I give parents and staff a list of all the policies we have filed.

I feel policies are good if you are going to use them. They tell not only parents but your staff what you do and why you do it. You can write policies about what ever you want if you feel the need. I wrote a display policy because I wanted my staff team to realise the importance of frequently changing the displays, about using the children's work not just templates and word to label the pictures. Having done it and circulated the team understand why I have been a bit negative about previous displays. They seem appreciative that they understand how displays value the children's play.

The current EYFS states that parents need to have copies of Safeguarding, lost child, left behind child. We email these out. I am not sure they are on my website or at least not the reviewed ones anyway. (Must add that to my Easter to do!) At some stage all policies will be on the website, but yes I give parents and staff a list of all the policies we have filed.

3.73. Providers must make the following information available to parents and/or carers:
 how the EYFS is being delivered in the setting, and how parents and/or carers can
access more information;
 the range and type of activities and experiences provided for children, the daily
routines of the setting, and how parents and carers can share learning at home;
 how the setting supports children with special educational needs and disabilities;
 food and drinks provided for children;
 details of the provider's policies and procedures (all providers except childminders
must make copies available on request) including the procedure to be followed in
the event of a parent and/or carer failing to collect a child at the appointed time, or
in the event of a child going missing at, or away from, the setting; and
 staffing in the setting; the name of their child’s key person and their role; and a
telephone number for parents and/or carers to contact in an emergency.
so you don't need to provide copies unless requested!

I do give out a copy of a fee and payment policy, key person, smoking and alcohol , part of safeguarding (social media) , uncollected child and camera and phone policy. These are given on our open evening along with a parents booklet of the eyfs. And leaflets on why we do forest school :))