Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading - 'Describes main story settings ...'

What evidence do you use to cover this aspect ...

'Describes main story settings, events and principle characters'. Thinking about 'The Very Busy Spider' - Is it enough to say that it happened on the farm, to list some of the animals and say that the spider was very busy. The word 'describe' really bothers me I have been inclined to use 'talks about' instead. What do others do?

Thank you!

I'm about to start collecting small items to make a story box with. I'm hoping this will enable new vocabulary, creative thinking, maybe some role play and hopefully cover describing a story.

If you look at the ELG for this one then you are i think looking for the comprehension of what they are reading....do they understand what the story is about (rather than just telling you what the story says!!) ?

But we are talking about 30-50m with this statement - yes, I would expect much more by the end of reception year.

But we are talking about 30-50m with this statement - yes, I would expect much more by the end of reception year.

This would be the precursor skills. It is all about comprehension and understanding. This would also later become inference and deduction as you move in the Primary years. It also links into genre when you are considering writing. You are seeing if the child is able to talk about the key elements of a narrative. Narratives typically have characters, events and a setting where it all happens. By absorbing this understanding the child is laying down the building blocks of their success in literacy. Observations of a child talking about well known texts and retelling using the language of the stories, through reading activities, role play or small world/story boxes etc would give you the range of evidence to support your judgement in 30 - 50.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)