Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYFS statutory framework from Sept 2014

catma

Aww I don't 'do' twitter or fb! It would be very useful if anyone is willing to share.

Edited by Guest

@under5mag: CM training and first aid training no longer needs to be local authority approved #newEYFS

@under5mag: Point 3.22 of current framework, which says that providers should ensure regular staff appraisals are carried out, has been removed #newEYFS

@under5mag: Requirement for providers to ensure that facilities are suitable for children w/ disabilities seems to have been removed too..?? #newEYFS

@under5mag: Req. for providers to obtain "written parental permission for children to take part in outings" also seems to have been removed #newEYFS

@under5mag: Requirement for provision to be made for "children who wish to relax, play quietly or sleep w/ appropriate furniture" also removed #newEYFS

@under5mag: #newEYFS also clarifies that to count in Level 3 ratios, staff holding EYE qualifications must have GCSE English & maths at grade C or above

@under5mag: Ref to early years apprentices (aged 16 or over) added to guidance on who may be included in ratios (subject to provider approval) #newEYFS

• Like 2

ive now read it and compared to 2012 version

here are the main differences

in most paras there is now reference to childmining agencies

page 7 exclusions for out of school care for the learning and development requirements

page 14 Inserted "where possible" when talking about 2 yera check feeding into healthy child program

page 17 Working together to safeguard children doc changed to updated 2013 version

page 18 references specific duty to make a referral to DBS when staff dismissed for harming child or putting child at harm

page 19 new section para 3.14 to 3.16 on disqualification

page 20 para 3,20 now includes the providers responsibility to support staff with training 9this was much earlier in 2012 version and has just been put in more appropriate place)

page 21. Removal of para 3.22 from 2012 version which talked about appraisals, upskilling staff and encouraging all staff to work towards L2

page 21 removal of requirement for paed first aid qualifcation to be local authority approved

page 21 para 3.25 now includes that providers must take account of layout of rooms, no of staff and children to ensure first aiders can respond quickly

page 22 removal of 8 am to 4 pm restrction on application of 1;13 ratios for those with L6 qualifications working with over 3's

page 24 specific reference to wrap around holiday care

page 26 behaviour- removal of specific refernce to written policy and named person

page27 simplification of safety and suitability paragraphs- note there is no reference to a H and S policy although it does refer to h and s legislation. No longer refers to safety of furniture equipment and toys, nor any reference to ensuring premises are secure.

page 28para 3.59 no reference to provision of an area for children to relax, sleep or play quietly.

page 28 para 3.60 removes need for 1 to 10 sinks /basins- now just refers to an "adequate number"

page 28 para 3.64 no refernce to a risk assessemnt policy

page 29 outings- no reference to parental permission

Page 29 Equal ops para removed and replaced with SEN para note nuance change with designated SENCO

THE END!!!!! DO I GET A PRIZE!!!!!!

Please ignore dreadful typos...I can't type!!

Edited by eyfs1966
  • Like 4

@under5mag: #newEYFS also clarifies that to count in Level 3 ratios, staff holding EYE qualifications must have GCSE English & maths at grade C or above

any eagle eyed readers spotted where this comes from? I cant find it in the EYFS doc...

• Like 1

eyfs1966 - you definitely get the prize. Wow! Thank you so much :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bottom of page 20

That's me out of the ratios then - how can they expect everyone to have maths and English by September?!

I understand new starters in qualifications, but what about the present workforce?!

Bottom of page 20

That's me out of the ratios then - how can they expect everyone to have maths and English by September?!

I understand new starters in qualifications, but what about the present workforce?!

My understanding was that the new EYEducator qual was to have the requirement for grade c maths and english, but that all us oldies who hold quals that were deemed full and relevant before 2014 will still be deemed full and relevant post sept 2014. I can not recall where i read that, but i am sure someone will come along soon to put us out of our misery!

• Like 2

Yup, I've read that too somewhere - it would be unreasonable to back date qualification requirements.

It may have been in the consultation this all le to but I forget which one!!

cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

Did I read somewhere that there was to be a removal of the requirement to have two members of staff with children? So it would mean that just one could be in the garden if there was only one child there, or just one could wait with a child for late pick up? Did I dream that?

Did I read somewhere that there was to be a removal of the requirement to have two members of staff with children? So it would mean that just one could be in the garden if there was only one child there, or just one could wait with a child for late pick up? Did I dream that?

I hope you didn't dream it as this would make life so much simpler when only a couple of children want to be outside and the rest in?

I haven't been able to find this since the 2008 version of the EYFS - so think it may have been removed last time?

I've spent the morning going through the 2014 revision - here are the changes I've found so far:

Lots of references to Childminding agencies.

Some changes to the wording in the section on disqualification.

p. 20 a footnote that states ‘ To count in the ratios at level 3, staff holding an Early Years Educator qualification must also have achieved GCSEs in English and maths at grade C or above.’

p. 21 Removal of the paragraph referring to regular staff appraisals.

p. 21 Removal of the requirement that first aid training be LA approved, with a footnote on course content.

p. 21 Staff working as apprentices in early education (aged 16 or over) may be included in the ratios.

p. 22 onwards. Changes to the wording to include Early Years Teacher status and change ‘full and relevant level 6’ to ‘suitable level 6’. Also removal of the 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. restriction for the higher ratios.

p. 24 A new section on Before/after school and holiday provision which states:

Where provision is solely before/after school care or holiday provision for children who normally attend Reception class (or older) during the school day, there must be sufficient staff as for a class of 30 children. It is for providers to determine how many staff are needed to ensure the safety and welfare of children, bearing in mind the type(s) of activity and the age and needs of the children. It is also for providers to determine what qualifications, if any, the manager and/or staff should have. Providers do not need to meet the learning and development requirements in Section 1. (my emphasis).

p. 26 Wording changed to remove requirement for a written behaviour management policy.

p. 27 Wording changed to remove requirement for a written Health and Safety policy, and a written smoking policy

p. 28 Added responsibility to follow Equality Act 2010

p. 28 Wording changed to remove requirement for 1 toilet and washbasin for every 10 children over the age of 2 - now states ’adequate number'.

p. 28 Wording changed to remove requirement for a written risk assessment policy.

p. 29 Wording changed to remove requirement for a written parental permission for outings.

p. 29 Change from Equal Opportunities to Special Educational Needs. No reference to need for a written policy, but need to check sections of the Children and Families Act 2014.

I'm sure there's more that I've missed, but hopefully its of help

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)