Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help communication and language : speaking

Can someone give examples of what a child might say which refers to this statement please.

40-60+ months

Extends vocabulary, especially by grouping and naming, exploring the meaning of new words.

The other day I worked with a group of children to make an obstacle course. The next day one of the children took the lead and showed his friends how to make an 'octopus' course. He used different positional language and talked about using "equipment" such as mats, benches, hoops etc. new words that he was understanding and using in context.

• Like 2

I have just looked on my school tracking system which offers examples of DM statements in 'child speak'. This is how it is interpreted:

'I am able to correctly use the many new words and sound I have learnt'

• 3 weeks later...

sorry but am I able to have a copy too, some of my staff assess so differently, I would really like a tool to use with them all

I have just looked on my school tracking system which offers examples of DM statements in 'child speak'. This is how it is interpreted:

'I am able to correctly use the many new words and sound I have learnt'

Is it on the Devon website? Is there a link we can access?

• Like 1

little ob from today for OP we have been having a paper aeroplane week (and helicopters/etc etc) including races we talked about the children leaving their planes in the hanger/refuelling /cargo/ and launching etc the children have continued to use these words in the correct context and have been able to explain what they meant to others

little ob from today for OP we have been having a paper aeroplane week (and helicopters/etc etc) including races we talked about the children leaving their planes in the hanger/refuelling /cargo/ and launching etc the children have continued to use these words in the correct context and have been able to explain what they meant to others

They could have used 'our new words' from this week which were 'swoop and soar' - this in the context of birds flying!!!

They could have used 'our new words' from this week which were 'swoop and soar' - this in the context of birds flying!!!

oh thats reminds me of the bit in owl babies " she swooped soft and silent through the trees" ....lovely alliteration!

• Like 1

We were lucky enough to be able to watch two 'pigeon releases' this week - lovely suggestions from the children about what might be in the baskets (!) also able to link these words with group story 'In the Nest' - love these totally unplanned moments! :1b

Yes, I love that line from Owl Babies and never manage to say it without arms outstretched! :D

How about collective nouns for that? She saw a flock of sheep or a herd of cows? These are all phrases we say to children that they learn and repeat

Edited by Cait

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)