Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adapting activity for SEN child

Salus

Hello all,

This is my first post here.

My name is Usma and i am a EYTS trainee. Really enjoying it so far. Are there any other EYTS trainee's on here?

I am planning an activity with the Preschoolers (3-5 years) on acceptable behaviour inside the nursery as there is alot of running, standing on chairs and shouting. I plan on doing this through a circle time activity where the children and I discuss how we think we should behave when indoors. I then plan to write the "rules" up on a display board with pictures of children demonstrating the positive behaviours.

There is a child who has autism (not sure how severe). As part of my training i need to show how i adapt activities and care to respond to the needs of all children. How can i adapt this activity and make it accessible to this child as he doesn't sit in one place and i'm don't think he will understand much of what is happening.

Thanks in advance!

Usma

hello and welcome!

Difficult one to help on when i don't what difficulties this child has...i would suspect that a visual clue is what is needed though (great for all concerned....maybe take photos of children doing the right and the wrong things ? Does this little chap climb on things? or if this is not his problem then you don't need to teach this to him! It may be more appropriate to adapt this for him by doing it one to one...this way you will be able to teach in the way that he learns. The word NO is often a trigger so it may be best to say not allowed...but you really need to know where he's 'at' to be able to plan for his needs.

on a separate note i would wonder why the children are exhibiting this behaviour in the first place! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes you're right, i think i need to know more about his needs before i can adapt this activity for him. I will speak with his key worker and see what's the best way, though i also think one to one would be best (but again, this may be difficult as apart from lunch time, he doesn't sit in one place for long). I was looking at using visual cards with him.

From what i have seen, staff are not consistent in correcting negative behaviour and promoting positive behaviour. I've not seen a staff stop a child from running and explain why we don't run inside. So i am hoping that a short activity discussing WHY we don't do certain things will help- and then hopefully staff will implement the same approach...

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

From what i have seen, staff are not consistent in correcting negative behaviour and promoting positive behaviour. I've not seen a staff stop a child from running and explain why we don't run inside. So i am hoping that a short activity discussing WHY we don't do certain things will help- and then hopefully staff will implement the same approach...

the other issue here of course is WHY the children are doing this...bored? not engaged? activities not suited to them?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)