Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Job Description Wanted!

:o I'm updating our staff records and need some ideas on what to put in the job description!

If anyone has suggestions I'd be really grateful

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen

Not knowing what you already have I hope the following will be of use to you.

Do you have different levels of staffing? At our pre-school we have a deputy manager, a senior assistant and then the assistants. We have a contract of employment/job description for each of the positions.

This includes hours worked, basic hourly rate, who they are responsible to. It also has holiday entitlement, notification of illness and termination of employment.

Then we have the job description. Main duties, including keyworker role if you have them, attending staff meetings, in-service training etc. Then additional responsibilities for the deputy manager and senior assistant, like being in charge when I'm not there, and each person in the group has a special role, such as safety officer, keeping a check on supplies etc. so that comes into each individual's job description.

It might be easier if you want to to e-mail me and let me know your address and I could send you copies of mine?

Let me know

Linda

My job description on my original contract just says 'the supervisor is in charge of the day to day running of the group' !!

As the rest of the staff work less than 10 hours a week they are classed as casual workers and don't have a contract

(I don't know much about employment law, I think I need to do some research!)

Any advice would be welcome, especially if there should be anything else included in the staff files, I have their crb clearance and a record of training attended, is there anything else I need?

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neysa,

Do you keep their job application forms in the staff file, too? And does your setting carry out personal development plans at all? Those forms would be useful to keep in the staff file, too.

Thanks Linda yours were a great starting point, just what I needed to get me going!

I'm just doing the first ever annual review for staff too!

so there'll be a job description/contract, a crb clearance and the annual review.... anything I've forgotten?

Thanks for your help, it saved me a lot of time! :D

Helen