Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The more I read the less I know...help please!

I work in a nursery setting, as part of the childrens transition to Primary Schools we use the EYFS profile although when I've read about its completion it should be done in the academic year when they turn five...i.e. end of reception year, so its not required at nursery stage?

Is there any other statutory requirement apart from the two year progress check that Pre-Schools should be carrying out? I can appreciate we need to forward information to the Primary School when they commence with them, to provide a picture of their achievements but on what format should this be done? Is there a common document that covers this? Where is the legal requirement shown?

Also whilst reading many posts and government policies on KS1 and KS2, it seems although were supposed to be directing children towards ELG's then aware of KS1 and KS2 but the government website now shows these are disbanded?!...oh poop, what next, is there any clear guidance on what the children need to head towards in Mathematics and Language after ELG's?

My head is on complete meltdown...I'm fed up with not finding a straight forward answer...I'm going to put two pencils up my nose, tissue out of my ears, rock back and forth and repeat 'Wibble, wibble'

Anyone any ideas of what statutory assessing we should be doing?

'wibble, wibble'

:wacko:

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum/area but I thought ones on here would know the answers. :1b

Edited by montymad

Hello Montymad and welcome!

There are only 2 points of statutory assessment the 2 year old check (before they are 3) and the eyfs profile which is done at the END of the reception year. I think most of us use the learning outcomes document for assessment during nursery (Previously dvelopment matters) and we use this for transition (though some counties supply transition documents)

• Like 1

Hello Montymad and welcome!

There are only 2 points of statutory assessment the 2 year old check (before they are 3) and the eyfs profile which is done at the END of the reception year. I think most of us use the learning outcomes document for assessment during nursery (Previously dvelopment matters) and we use this for transition (though some counties supply transition documents)

Hi Finlaysmaid,

Thank you so much for your reply, this is what I thought but because where I work are using them I doubted myself.

A universal transition form for moving to Primary Schools would be useful along with clear advice and guidelines for completion, maybe one day we'll will be all working from the same page.

Still haven't worked out the following to know where we are supposed to be guiding them towards, after the ELG's...

'The current national curriculum programmes of study for mathematics at key stages 1 and 2 have been disapplied with effect from 1 September 2013 for pupils in years 3 and 4 and are no longer statutory in relation to those year groups. This means that schools are free to develop their own curriculums for mathematics that best meet the needs of their pupils, in preparation for the introduction of the new national curriculum from September 2014. Further details are available via the link on this page.'

It is Friday, I think it is time to wind down!

thank you again. B)

Hi Montymad

Why are you worried about mathematics for Key Stages 1 and 2 when you work in a nursery? The Early Learning Goals are guidance on what children should have achieved by the end of their first year at school (reception year). Most children at nursery do not achieve these goals by the time they go to school (although some do) so for the most part, we don't need to worry about what they are going to do after they have achieved the ELG's - they might be nearly a year away from this when they leave us.

As for transition, in our local authority, we have to pass on each child's Learning Journey directly to the school (who then give it back to parents when they have finished with it.) That is the only requirement. We also give a summary of the child's recent learning and development and any other useful information. For children with additional needs, we arrange transition meetings with the school's SENCo and the class teacher to ensure information is shared properly and the school can plan for the child.

Again thanks for the replies, they are very helpful.

I still think a universal form for the transition might be a good idea, as it would be easier and quicker for Primary Schools to decipher rather than reams of of the paperwork held in journals...as this would possibly be a checklist it could have negative implications, but I gather Primary Schools do need this level of honesty to be able to support the child effectively.

Whilst reading I have found that we should have a regard for these later stages of learning which I can undertsand why...but I feel the goalposts just keep moving so quickly that its hard to know which way they will be going and which is the right path to direct them towards...anyhoooow

I think we have a 'Gifted child' already completing activities in English and Mathematics that I feel are beyond his years and I just want to keep up and provide the best for him for when he goes on to Primary School. Wish I had his ability and knowledge...I might be able to undertsand what the latest changes mean and retain the information. :blink:

Many thanks,

B)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)