Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New sef?

zigzag

Think I may be going a bit loopy!! Did I read a post on here about a new sef format from November? I cant seem to find it now and am really hoping it was just a nightmare!! Can anyone shed any light on this please. Think I may be going :bananas:

I met a childminder the other day who told me she has never, ever completed a SEF and doesn't ever intend do.

During the same conversation another childminder (in a different area) was told by her LA that she couldn't get an 'outstanding' without one.

First childminder then pointed out that she was awarded an outstanding at her last inspection... :blink:

actually none of us HAVE to do our sef...it's just recommended and you can use other evaluations. We didn't have our sef in place when we were first inspected and got an outstanding too.....but i do think the emphasis has changed..i don't think i'd get away with it now!

• Like 1

At our last inspection ........ inspector had read SEF online but had not downloaded - I made sure :ph34r: she went off clutching a hard copy - lots of my report was 'lifted' directly from my SEF - so much as I go on about not wanting to update :blink: it is, in my humble, a worthwhile exercise! :D

• Like 1

actually none of us HAVE to do our sef...it's just recommended and you can use other evaluations. We didn't have our sef in place when we were first inspected and got an outstanding too.....but i do think the emphasis has changed..i don't think i'd get away with it now!

I haven't done a SEF and our inspector was happy and didn't mention it, we do, however, do a county produced evaluation schedule which we discussed during the inspection as I bought it up in conversation and she looked at an example of our latest one. ( we were inspected one month ago)

I flaming well updated mine three weeks ago because we moved into a different space over the summer. Please tell me I can cut and paste and its not too different!!!

You don't need to cut and paste at all, you can ask it to put all your old info into the new form. Basically nothing much has changed except for the change from satisfactory to needs improvement grading. Easy!! Hurrah!!

Basically nothing much has changed except for the change from satisfactory to needs improvement grading.

Sorry Zigzag - I'm editing ours at the moment and there is more to it than that. I suggest that you go through the SEF guidance.

We have do have some written self-evaluation, using the Ofsted format or another, as explained in the guidance.

Ok am going to tackle this tomorrow any hints and tips?? Is it a straight forward transfer of info or do I really need to turn my one remianing brain cell on?? :blink:

Wish I knew zigzag - if it needs any 'brain cell' input then I'm going to have to leave mine on hold! ;)xD

Good luck - let us know how it goes!!! :1b

Oh it went really well, I distracted myself by writing up the details of the last staff meeting, photocopying apprasails, making a leaflet for our festive fundraising event and alongside the usual child type distractions by the time I got around to logging in...it was time to rush of to the doctors with my mother in law!! It is now on the bottom of my to do list for next week!!! ;);)

• Like 1

Oh it went really well, I distracted myself by writing up the details of the last staff meeting, photocopying apprasails, making a leaflet for our festive fundraising event and alongside the usual child type distractions by the time I got around to logging in...it was time to rush of to the doctors with my mother in law!! It is now on the bottom of my to do list for next week!!! ;);)

:oxDxDxD You are nearly as bad as me! :rolleyes:

Hope Mother-in Law is OK......

Do you know what, three weeks ago I updated the SEF so why on earth do I need to put this stupid pressure on myself to convert it just because they have changed it again. It will happen when it happens!!! :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

Do you know what, three weeks ago I updated the SEF so why on earth do I need to put this stupid pressure on myself to convert it just because they have changed it again. It will happen when it happens!!! :blink: :blink:

Yay!

Seriously now - that is completely right zigzag ........and presumably if you had known it was about to change you would have held out for the updated version.......

Yet again its only because of this fab forum that I knew it had been updated. Nothing from our LA and no notification from Ofsted. In fact even though I have signed up for their updates I have never received any!!

Absolutely!

I am really surprised by lack of info from LA - have had lots of emails - well at least two - this week - but, nope, nothing about the new SEF........

As for Ofsted notifications :ph34r:

Absolutely!

I am really surprised by lack of info from LA - have had lots of emails - well at least two - this week - but, nope, nothing about the new SEF........

As for Ofsted notifications :ph34r:

I suspect that is something else they will ask us to pay for if we want them

You need to register. (I recently got mails from Ofsted about updating my password, so they seem to try to reach out.) Apart from being informed about various changes here and through Ofsted's and our LA's Children's Services' newsletters, I get to know about them by having signed up to receiving news through Nursery World, Daynurseries and Pre-school Learning Alliance. We need to be proactive ourselves...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)