Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books Linked To Ourselves

Just getting my resources together for a topic on ourselves. Can anyone tell me what books they use? Owl babies seems a good one to start with. Any other ideas?

i use the ORT first set of big books to get the children used to the characters: look out, fetch, getting up.

some fit quite nice into our weekly topics ie ORT 'at school', spots and the wobbly tooth for looking after ourselves.

also kippers bithday there is the ORT one and kipper the dog.

thats all i think of at the moment.

hope it helps

I've used the Alfie books by Shirley Hughes. Although the illustrations are oldfashioned they have given lots of opportunity for discussion/activities

Alfie's Feet for example, foot painting, wellie printing, comparision and measuring of feet, measuring objects using feet, pairing shoes, socks, finger rhymes using toes, washing and drying socks, making patterns, sequencing socks on washing line, different ways of moving, Display using baby and current photos,'When I was a baby I ...' + 'Now I'm three I can...' shoe shop,

Alfie Lends a Hand and Alfie Gets in First were good for PSED, lots of feelings to explore.

The children have loved the stories

Hope this helps.

Barb

I LOVE The Making Faces book - we used that last year for the Myself Topic.

Also love So Much by Trish Cook.

The Little Princess maybe? I want a sister etc

The Last Noo Noo

I have a book called Billy and the Barglebogle about a new baby that is lovely.

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. Even though it's my fourth year i always forget the books that i used the following year.

I asked for some big ORT books. So they do them do they? Noone was sure at my School.

We have recently got really into the ORT Flop Over book used with the ORT teacher's handbook. We also use the extended stories to go with the relevant ORT books - we send them home for the parents to use too.

There are some really wonderful teacher handbooks around - its just finding the time to find them and read them!!!!!!!!!!!

I desperately need a ORT big book of some kind. I had been told about this flip over book. I had the ORT scheme presented to me last year and want to introduce the children to the characters but find it very difficult with only small books. What's in the flip over?

Really big pictures of the characters and "story pictures." To get the best out of it you really need to use it in connection with the Teacher's handbook - where you can read the 'blurb' that goes with each picture. There are also questions to go with the pictures etc. I think it's great. I mean someone has obviously spent a lot of time thinking of great vocab, story structure, prediction skills, guided responses, etc. It's a real help. I also really recommend those extended stories (found in the Teacher's handbook too)

PS am not a secret sales person for ORT but feel I could deserve some commission!!!

Going to speak to my literacy coordinator about these resources. Bungalow do you use the no words ones? Hopefully i'll be able to get some of these. Will make introducing the characters alot easier.

Yes the big flop over book has no words - but there is space to write words on a special wipe over bit (I actually use my white board just above the flop over book) and we start all children off on the grey books with no words but use the extended stories to go with them. Hope they get it for you!

Thanks. Just finushed my planning for next week. Sometimes it feele like paperwork that will be of no use.

I went onto the ORT sight but could not find flop over book. What's the title of it?

My local EYCEP has recently presented "Staying Safe". Essentially, it it all about children being comfortable with who they are and who they are happy with. I haven't done the training, but I have had access to the folders. Therein is an "All About Me Book List":

"Baba"

"Dogger"

"Guess How Much I Love You"

"Elmer's Colours"

"You'll Soon Grow into them, Titch"

"Flora's Blanket"

"Where's my Teddy?"

"My Dad is Brilliant"

"Things I Like"

"Sound Start: Violet Poetry: Monday Morning" (I don't know this)

The list includes authors, publishers and ISBN numbers, and seems like a good starting point. It made me think of a good few other books.

There is also a "Friends" booklist and an "Out and About" booklist.

The "Staying Safe" package contains some super activity plans (e.g. getting each child to construct their own "safety circle"). I'm looking forward to implementing it sometime.

Diane

Edited by diane

Thanks. Just finushed my planning for next week. Sometimes it feele like paperwork that will be of no use.

I went onto the ORT sight but could not find flop over book. What's the title of it?

40576[/snapback]

Will get proper title for you tomorrow at school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)