Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pattern

Hi! am covering pattern next week and was just wondering if anyone had any different, fun practical things to do simple patterns. Am being observed for my NQT year and am trying to think of something different! any suggestions would be appreciated.

My children enjoyed threading Cheerios (the variety ones) on strawberry laces. They created patterns, practised their fine manipulation and enjoyed eating the results! Not so sure of the benefits to their teeth, though!

Sue :D

Thanks for that idea, sounds like fun! I don't think i'd get away with though-we are a healthy school. I know that thw children would have loved it though! :)

pasta necklaces - either using coloured pasta or colouring their own with felt tips or paint

printing with fruit/veg or any other objects

threading beads

unifix towers

pattern-making in damp sand or shaving foam

looking for patterns in the environment/ taking rubbings eg brickwork, duplo blocks etc

what about Elmer? Have recently read about plastic milk carton elephants somewhere (not sure on here or under fives site)any way have cut a milk carton across at bottm of handle and it works!looks just like an elephant.apparantly you then ask the children to stick coloured squares on it I wondered about coloured tissue paper.hope this is of help!

One activity that was really popular with our older pre school children was an extension to threading coloured bobbins. Each child had to make a repeating pattern of two colours (three colours for the more advanced) threading bobbins onto a lace. When the pattern was made, the children found the matching coloured pre-cut paper bobbins of the same colours , and sequenced (pritt stick) them onto a plain strip of card (just the size to fit around a child's head like a hat), we made hats and each child had their photo taken wearing their sequencing hat, and holding their threaded bobbins.

It was so popular that we carried on with the activitiy for the rest of the week.

Use the children. Long hair, short hair, long hair etc. Or tall, short, tall short, Jumper, cardigan, jumper... you get the picture.

How about the pattern of the day, get up, go to school, have lunch sort of thing.

Seasons or festivals

Big, small, big, small...light, heavy...float, sink...

Red lorry, yellow lorry, red lorry, yellow lorry...time for a lie down me thinks. :oxD

• 2 years later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

In our Reception class we were looking at patterns as our Topic. We looked at repeating patterns in wall paper, clothes and wrapping paper. This took us along the route of reading 'Mrs Wishy-Washy' (in which we covered the history of the washing machine - although the children thought that the reason there were no washing machines in the past was because the dinosaurs had eatten them all!) We wrote about our favourite part of the story and illustrated our writing.

We used washing numberlines and had a laundry area outside (with penty of boys taking the iron and the pegs to hang up wet clothes!), although we have had a car wash in the past this was much better! At the end of the week we had a laugh with the book 'Pants!' and made our own repeating patterns on a pair of paper pants and wrote who would wear them and when - I got teacher pants, some light up pants, and many other superhero and transforming pants ideas from the children!

The children designed their own patterns on pre-drawn clothes using colour pencils. The same children had to find their design and paint a larger version using the same design only this time with paints instead of pencils. These were cut out and displayed around the classroom. During open evening the parents were encouraged with their children to find the relevant design and match it with the same painting. These were all displayed on washing lines around the classroom and it looked lovely. Has anyone got any other ideas for a pattern topic?

A simple activity that works really well, and you can eat it afterwards................. lol

Thread a cheerio type cereal on strawberry laces using different coloured cheerios to create a sequencing pattern......

our kids love it, even the tinies manage it!

• 3 years later...

These are some lovely ideas thank you!

Another idea for milk bottles, not related to colour or pattern i'm afraid but awesome is building a milk bottle igloo.... Google it, it looks brilliant!

:-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)