Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Home visit resources

Guest Biker

The preschool I have just joined is accepting two year olds ( new territory for me!) As part of their settling in process we are visiting them at home. I just wondered if anyone had particular resources they had found useful. I was thinking of taking bubbles,some finger puppets a large paper pad with some crayons pencils. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Biker.

• 2 weeks later...

Visits are tight time wise. We take either Gerry the giraffe or Edmund the elephant depending which group they are in.We take our 'surprise tin'. An old biscuit tin with the plastic sectional insert. In it there are things to interest most children and help check-hand eye coordination, counting , colours, interests, language and life experiences. We leave a colouring sheet the child chooses to bring on the first day and start their space on our through the year wall.Plus paperwork! who can pick up sheet, first day advice etc

Thanks guys,

We did a few visits this week which went really well. Fredbear you were right most of them were keen to show us their own toys/books etc. It was lovely seeing the children in their own home environment.

Biker

Yes and that's whats great about them too, is you can draw from that in lots of situations in the setting. If you can implement them they truly are so beneficial.

We also send out a questionnaire to new parents this half-term to ask whether parent/carers felt they were useful.

Great start for engaging with parents too.:)

Some settings take photos of themselves and the nursery and where possible leave them behind so that parents can continue to talk to children about where they are going. This helps children feel more settled, and can be referred to on first visits.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The new child's Key worker just needs to interact with the child and their own toys whilst the manager chats to the parents and answers any questions they have while giving them the Pre-school paper work and information leaflets, such as communication and language development-schematic play, complaints procedure and parents information leaflet; a relaxed approach, so parent and child build relationships and confidence in the settings staffs and care provided. The home visit is often commented upon during meal times and recalled in the child's mind after the event in the setting, a good starting point for discourse.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)