Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What are your reception profiles looking like?!

Hi all,

Just wondering what your reception profiles are looking like this year? Are they what you expected (no pun intended)?

Mine aren't what I expected. Even though a very large percentage of my children have not achieved the 'expected' level (ELG) they have made huge amounts of progress from their starting points and I am hoping this is more of what OFSTED are going to want to talk about (if/when they visit) rather than how many achieved 'expected' or 'exceeding' etc...

Would be grateful for any replies and thoughts.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hiya generally speaking my averages for expected are around the 55% mark for numbers and writing, 65% for reading and higher for psed and PD they look a lot lower than last year. My head bought in EYFS target tracker which I have moaned about all year asvit has increased my workload but what it does do is show lots of lovely graphs of the progress the children have made which will be good to show if the big O appears.

Deb

Guest ChunkyMan

My GLD is 28%, I was hoping for 30% and above but it is what it is......a lot of the children who haven't quite made the grade would have been average children last year?

It's just the % of your children who have got to expected in all of the prime areas and Literacy and Mathematics (ie ELGs 1 - 12). It's not linked to progress, it's an attainment measure. This will be reported as your schools overall outcome for EYFSP and there will be a national measure to be matched against.

Cx

Hi,

So Catma what if there are children that are one off out of the 12, it seems a shame to say they haven't achieved a good level of development? What if there are some settings with 0% because of this?

Hi,

So Catma what if there are children that are one off out of the 12, it seems a shame to say they haven't achieved a good level of development? What if there are some settings with 0% because of this?

sorry - it's an absolute. If they only get 11/12 they don't get the Good level of development. https://dfe.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/2/EYFS_iss2_13_2_13

It's just the way it is with the new assessment. I'm discouraging comparisons with last years outcomes because I don't see it as helpful, it is a different assessment which focuses on a much narrower range of expected skills, so there is less wriggle room to get the expected, whereas getting 6+ out of 9 points gave a wider margin of success. We have to look at what we get against the new national outcome (pilot was 41% at GLD) so we can recalibrate our targets etc.

• Like 1

My GLD is 50%. Last year my class GLD (similar in ability) was 93.3%. It's the sentence writing. Some children are expected in all areas except writing as they are not writing sentences that can be read by others. So depressing :(

My GLD is 50%. Last year my class GLD (similar in ability) was 93.3%. It's the sentence writing. Some children are expected in all areas except writing as they are not writing sentences that can be read by others. So depressing :(

surely you cant compare like for like it's a different curriculum!!! stop beating yourself up....there are enough people around to do that for us! :rolleyes:

surely you cant compare like for like it's a different curriculum!!! stop beating yourself up....there are enough people around to do that for us! :rolleyes:

Exactly - it's a whole new assessment and comparisons as Shakespeare (almost) says are odious. We will have a new national baseline and we start again.

• Like 1

I know........ My class have made excellent progress, but it is such a shame that 50% of the children will have not achieved a GLD (in the government's view).

This year my GLD is 76% (so similar to last year's - even though the comparison isn't possible) BUT I know that as a cohort they are loads more able than any of the last 3 have been. I can feel myself 'borrowing trouble' for next year already as I strongly suspect we won't be near that again (at least given what I've already heard from pre-schools about next year's lot! Part of me feels as if I should have been meaner so it was possible to go up next year. Ridiculous I know but still that's how things get you sometimes!

Well imagine how I feel being held to account for an entire LA!!! You just can't go there...fortunately I have the backing of the data team who get it, but I'm sure there will be questions asked, whatever we get!!

But the EYFSP isn't, nor ever has been a progress measure. It doesn't define the progress children have made but from secure on entry data you can demonstrate your effectiveness. They may look very different.

Some questions I might ask myself are:

Are there areas in which we have done particularly well? What did we do that made the difference?

What did we do less well in? Why? What will we learn from this to do differently next year?

Have I less children below age related expectations/GLD now than when I started teaching them?

Are more children from vulnerable groups at age related expectations/GLD than at the start?

Have the things I have focused on in my development plan impacted positively on overall outcomes?

Have my interventions been effective?

Then I would have the contextual information to discuss not only attainment but progress and overall achievement. The former may not be high but the latter will tell you a lot about the effectiveness and overall achievement which may be good or better.

Until we know what the national outcome is it's all a bit moot - don't fret about things which haven't happened yet!!!

Cx

• Like 1

Thank you for the post about the pilot 41% GLD. This is my first year in reception and I've been having a mad panic about my children. I have lots of summer borns and they came in really low and have made massive progress. I was really proud of them and me but my GLD is only 40%. Having come from year 1 where 90% of my class made good progress last year it seems such a low number. My head is certainly panicking about it

Until we know what the national outcome is it's all a bit moot - don't fret about things which haven't happened yet!!!

Cx

I know - but I am really good at that - can I play to my strengths? ;)

And to (sort of) answer some of those questions you asked. I actually feel pretty good about this year's data/cohort. I had 50% below age-related expectations for writing on entry and I ended up with 24% emerging - I'm chuffed! I have identified areas I need to improve on collecting evidence/providing opportunities to show evidence for. I have a class who are much stronger phonically than ever before etc. etc. etc. You don't need to hear all of that - you have your own LA/schools but I'm sharing anyway because it's not often I feel good about my practice!

Ours is the same - more importantly my team are sure that their judgements are robust. We have erred on the side of caution if there are any doubts.

Glad I have come across this thread....been having a minor meltdown today...

My GLD is 45% Reading is 63% Writing 46% Number 56% - We have been moderated too - so I feel happy that judgement is secure. There is a massive difference between last years GLD which was 100%.....yes 100% (hence to say I was new to this school in September!!) I have been saying all year that GLD would drop considerably!!

I don't think any of us will know until data is nationally brought together.

I would to add though - that this cohort came in low majority working with 30-50 - some some outstanding progress has been made.

Never thought I'd say this.........but bring back the scales points!!!!!!! B)

Don't even get me started! From their baselines all our children have made a good level of progress and we are very proud of them.We have had a meeting with parents to explain this, even though they will be emerging on the Profile. We even told them to be prepared for the next teacher- bashing headlines - children in Reception classes are not making good progress! It is Writing and Number that are unrealistic. I am all for a challenge, but to take no account of birth dates or other relevant factors totally ignores the fact that Development Matters. We have had a LA moderation and our judgements have all been agreed as correct but It is very disheartening as a practitioner to have a child assessed as not having made a 'good level of progress' when they certainly have!

So be proud of yourself, know you are making and have made a difference to your little darlings, whatever their level, and try to ignore data that tells you that you haven't!

Have a good summer!

Hey,

My GLD is 36% which equates to 11 of my 30 children achieving GLD. Overall 79% of my children have made the expected level in all areas of learning BUT some of those are low expected to very high expected - too broad a range.

Net

Hi

Just thought i'd chip in with a bit about my cohort. As we are a special school none of my children have achieved a GLD (no surprise there). Some have achieved 'expected' in some areas but the profiles are overwhelmingly 'emerging' .... as you would expect from special needs children, however... just to pick up the point earlier my children have made really good progress from their entry point. This shows up beautifully in PRAMS as I can demonstrate the number of age bands they have progressed through and like the first posting I'm hoping that this will satisfy OFSTED.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)