Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emerging secure developing?

Our age cut point in our international school in Europe is to be 4 years old by the 1st of October, due to what other international schools in the area have as a deadline. This caused that I had a boy who was still 3 years old entering Reception last year as his birthday was late September. He never became 5 in my class and started Y1 being 4 years old.

This year half of my class becomes 5 years old by the 20th of June or later (1 of them in August). We finish school on the 23rd of June... two extracurricular days the next week.

If I would just look at age bands, then I would not be assessing the ELG with that younger part of the group by June as we already have to give our assessments to the Head Master by mid June. We have 2 official report cards, one by end January-beginning February and one in June. We don't fill EYFSP, but the report cards are done accordingly.

What I have done is assess the group by 49 - 60+ in January (only 2 had become 5 in December) and will assess all of them by the ELG in June as we have to make the same report templates for all the children in the class. It can be that the younger ones appear as emerging or developing in most areas for the ELG in June. The youngest one might be more secure than other classmates who even become 5 earlier in the year. On the other hand, at the moment, 2 or 3 of the children still need more support with fine motor skills, developing their prehandwriting skills to make their letter formations more readable/understandable to others.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)