• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Key Dude

• Admin
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

As of 15th May 2013, we have slightly changed the method of adding EYFS assessments, to enable the inclusion of refinements. We have also added the ability to record Characteristics of Effective Learning (CoEL). This tutorial describes how to add all three to your observations.

Clicking the 'Add observation' button takes you to a page, where you need to add the information necessary to complete an observation for one or more children. It includes information such as the child you wish to add and the title of the observation (both obligatory fields - ie you can't leave these blank). It then moves on to optional fields which can be regarded as the main content of the observation - notes, media (photos or video) and then EYFS assessments and Characteristics of Essential Learning (CoEL).

Any or all of these fields can be left empty - if you're in a hurry, for instance, you need only to assign the observation to a child and give it a title, then save it. You can then edit the observation later to add EYFS assessments, CoEL judgements, notes etc.

The EYFS assessments and CoELs are towards the bottom of the page and look like this when you first see them:

Tap62.png
Note for weavers using Tapestry before 15th May 2013: You'll note that the EYFS assessments layout has changed slightly. This is necessary to enable refinements to be added, and also to make it more intuitive to remove assessments where you have changed your mind.

To add an EYFS assessment, you should choose the area of learning and aspect you want to record, then select an age band. As you do this, an extra row appears to show the selection. For example, in the graphic below, I've clicked on L (Literacy) then reading, and selected the age band 22-36 months:

Tap63.png

You'll notice the extra band appearing beneath the EYFS assessment chooser. To the left it gives the selected area of learning and aspect. Further to the right it gives the option to select a refinement.It shows the age band selected and how many statements have been selected (initially none of course). If you click the 'Select Statements' button you'll find an option to assign statements to the EYFS assessment appearing:

Tap64.pngSelect one or more of these and they will appear in the completed observation.

At this stage you may realise that you've allocated an aspect inaccurately. There are two ways to remove this. The first is to click the red 'remove' button, and the second is to click the 'not assessed' radio button above the age bands. You'll find the selected aspect bar below the main assessment picker disappears.

You can repeat this process for different areas of learning and aspects, assigning statements or simply age band assessments. You can only select one age band per aspect per observation. Obviously the idea is that you're judging a child to be achieving at a certain level at a certain point in time (or at least during a certain observation) and it makes no real sense to say that he is performing at this age band and also that age band - you select the highest level that s/he is performing at.

At this stage you might like to select a refinement of this age band judgement. Much has been written about the use of refinements in the PRAMS forum and elsewhere, but fundamentally it enables the assessor to decide whether a child is fully competent within a specific age band, is developing well within that age band, or is perhaps just moving into the age band.

Sometimes it has been tempting to tick off one or more of the statements associated with particular age bands, deciding that they need to achieve a full complement before moving onto the next. We (in line with EYFS recommendations) believe that this 'tick-box' approach is to misunderstand the purpose of the statements, and to make the EYFS framework rigid and bureaucratic. Instead we take the view that the statement are simply examples of the sort of behaviours that would show a child is working within that age band - that it's not in fact necessary to observe any of them specifically in order to decide that a child is achieving at that level.

The refinement options enable providers to use their professional judgement to decide where within an age band a child falls.The age bands are very broad (22-36 months, for example) so sometimes it can be difficult within a single year to be confident that a child is progressing well if they are assessed as operating within the same age band for the whole year - even if their actual age remains within that age band.

So refinements are offered as an option to show that although a child may not have moved into a different age band, they are still progressing very satisfactorily, by demonstrating greater competence in the behaviours  you would expect from a child of that age.

(that's the end of the lecture - for the experienced amongst you, apologies for teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...)

Moving on to Characteristics of Learning. The selection of a CoEL is very similar to the EYFS assessment picker. The difference in practical terms is that CoELs don't involve an age-band style set of levels to achieve; they are simply an observation of certain characteristics that the child is displaying. So, if you make a selection from one of the three Characteristics shown in the graphic at the top of this tutorial (in the following graphic I've picked 'Active Learning' and the sub-heading 'Keeping on Trying', and the specific behaviours 'showing a belief that more effort or a different approach will pay off' and 'bouncing back after difficulties') you'll end up with something like this:

Tap65.png

The box underneath shows what you have selected for CoEL. It will extend as you add more selections to it. Changing your mind and removing at each level is very easy - simply click the red 'x' to the left of each choice takes things out at that level (and every choice below it) and it will disappear.

So you can create a 'tree' of CoEL selections and then edit them out as seems fit.

Once you've completed your observation, click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the page and your EYFS assessments and CoELs will be saved and visible to view with the rest of your observation. They will also build up into a summary of progress and levels of achievement that you can view from within the 'Analysis' area of Tapestry, some of which is described here.

Edit: oops, forgot to show you how it looks after you've saved the observation. You can see how the refinements are highlighted and how the various assessments and Characteristics are displayed here:

snagit67.png

Hope that's been helpful - as ever we're happy to hear suggestions and comments from you!

'There are no ordinary people. It is immortals whom we work with, joke with, marry, snub and exploit.'

@EYFSF

#2 Cait

Cait

Retired Preschool Manager

• 9,229 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Well I'm liking the look of that!  Having just got our internet access at Preschool, we're going to run Tapestry more fully from September, so we have a good deal to play with here to get us up to speed before then.  Thank you for all your hard work - it's fantastic!

The nice thing about living in a small village is that when you don't know what you're doing -someone else always does!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance

#3 Stargrower

Stargrower

Stargrower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Staff have been using it all day and we're all loving it, despite badgering you about bugs (or should that be bugging you about badgers? ::1a)

#4 wadesmith

wadesmith

New user

• Full FSF Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Is it possible to add the characteristics of effective learning to observations as they are written on the Ipad or can these only be added on the PC? Are you able to add refinements to an observation on the Ipad too or can this only be done via the PC? These may be questions that have already been asked so sorry if you are having to repeat yourself!!

#5 figsbury12

figsbury12

New user

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

I have recently been moderated and my moderator was very impressed with Tapestry before the changes!  I love them and I think it makes the product even better.  The only suggestion the moderator said was that if another box could be added for the context to be typed in.  She said that this would help with the moderating process.  

#6 Steve

Steve

Key Dude

• Admin
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hi wadesmith - the iOS update will be following along shortly. Until then you need to edit in CoEL and refinements on a PC/Mac - or by accessing Tapestry from Safari on your iPad.

Hi figsbury - that's good to hear, thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what you mean by the context - could you elaborate? We'll shortly be adding an extra text box for next steps to be added - is that the kind of thing you mean?

'There are no ordinary people. It is immortals whom we work with, joke with, marry, snub and exploit.'

@EYFSF

#7 Griffins

Griffins

New user

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

Just wanted to say, we're loving the new CoEL feature and the analysis pages - really helpful!  I would certainly recommend to any setting considering using it!

#8 Steve

Steve

Key Dude

• Admin
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Thanks Griffins, that's really good to hear!

Wadesmith, I'm not sure where an extra box would be helpful here. The notes field will contain a description of the activity the child was involved with. Or do you mean when viewing the CoLs from the analysis screen?

@EYFSF

#9 Rainewood

Rainewood

Feet firmly under the table!

• Full FSF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Is it possible to 'turn off' the refinements or choose to default to no refinement selected?

We do use the e, d, s refinements but only with our overview assessment at the end of every term and not each observation.

It is fiddly having to select it for every assessment and sometimes it gets overlooked by the staff and so automatically labels the aspect as emerging.

#10 Steve

Steve

Key Dude

• Admin
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hi Lorraine -

It should be set to 'no refinement selected' by default - I'm not quite sure when/how this was changed but it's definitely incorrect. I have a Matt on the case as we speak and it will be fixed very soon. Apologies for the inconvenience!

@EYFSF

#11 Rainewood

Rainewood

Feet firmly under the table!

• Full FSF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

That's great, many thanks.

#12 cherylann2509

cherylann2509

New user

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Being able to see the age bands broken down into the statements is brilliant, my only issue is that this is quite fiddly, especially with staff members new to the age group that are still familiarising themselves with the EYFS and which age band the statements fall within. 

Is there any way I can see the statements without having to click on each individual age band?

Being able to hover over the age icons and have them appear, or an option to select from a list of all statements within a learning area would really make things easier and allow staff members to see what age band is most suitable.

Many Thanks

Cheryl

#13 Cait

Cait

• 9,229 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hi Lorraine -
It should be set to 'no refinement selected' by default - I'm not quite sure when/how this was changed but it's definitely incorrect. I have a Matt on the case as we speak and it will be fixed very soon. Apologies for the inconvenience!

Mine was still offering 'emerging' as of Friday as the default

The nice thing about living in a small village is that when you don't know what you're doing -someone else always does!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance

#14 Steve

Steve

Key Dude

• Admin
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Cait, that fix is included in the update which (hopefully) is going to be implemented tomorrow. Although Matt K is unwell and won't be in tomorrow, so it may be a day or two longer.

@EYFSF

#15 Helen

Helen

Landscape design and gardening consultancy!

• Admin
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Being able to see the age bands broken down into the statements is brilliant, my only issue is that this is quite fiddly, especially with staff members new to the age group that are still familiarising themselves with the EYFS and which age band the statements fall within. 

Is there any way I can see the statements without having to click on each individual age band?

Being able to hover over the age icons and have them appear, or an option to select from a list of all statements within a learning area would really make things easier and allow staff members to see what age band is most suitable.

Many Thanks

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

We did think long and hard about this in the early days of Tapestry. It was decided that a long string of statements would be too unwieldy, and would mean that if you were working with older children, you would have to scroll down all of them until you got to the last age band each time. This way, we would suggest you first look at the age band that the child is actually in, and if no statements seem to fit, then looking at either higher or lower age band statements. :1b

#16 Cait

Cait

• 9,229 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Cait, that fix is included in the update which (hopefully) is going to be implemented tomorrow. Although Matt K is unwell and won't be in tomorrow, so it may be a day or two longer.

Oh no!  I hope he's feeling better soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users