Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'Begins to read words ...'

Literacy: Reading

40-60+m

* Begins to read words and simple sentences.

How are you managing this?! :huh:

we are just supporting children who can write and read simple words such as their names, family names some of ours are recognising c.v.c's and want to write them, so they have pictures on the page and boxes to write letters to correspond with image, we are reading simple texts with them and pointing out simple words in speech bubbles for them to have a go at, not a reading scheme, just simplified ladybird Read for Yourself type books, and only with those children who are showing genuine interest.

Yes, I have some children who are sounding out and blending c-v-c words; but it's the 'simple sentences' - to read simple sentences the children will have to learn some HFWs!

My deputy as a next step for one of her children is going to try and introduce joining words such as 'and' to one of her high flyers this half term.

When we were trying to decide this simple sentence business for writing a few weeks ago i.e. attempts to write sentences, we came to the decision that a simple sentence attempt might be something like To Mummy, Happy Birthday, love ............ We have a few children who can do this type of thing - obviously they are also able to read it!

Edited by Panders

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)