Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

NUT Response to DofE Consultaion on EY Ed & Staff deployment

I'm off to hit my head against something hard - sure to feel much better afterwards.......

Anyone who thinks that 1:13 is appropriate for 2 year olds (I do not, will not, acknowledge this rising three tag - they are to year olds) is sadly mistaken - I'm not even going to qualify that statement with 'in my opinion' - that's how strongly I feel about this......

I have the greatest respect for those practitioners who have gained 'higher' qualifications - but please.......

It is my firm belief that the introduction that a child gets to 'education' in whatever form is vitally important to them - we should all be committed to providing the very best pre-school experience for the children in our care - this cannot be achieved without an appropriate adult to child ratio.

It's high up here on my soapbox - I will get down now.......

• Like 3

I think the confusion over the 'rising threes' is because OFSTED refer to it in their registration materials:

Children who are two years old when they start school but are three by the end of their first term at school (known as rising threes), may count as age three when deciding whether you need to register.

It does not say anything specifically about ratio, but the thinking 'may count as age three' is probably being applied.

as mundia said.. we were a preschool registered for 3 -5 but on more than one occasion Ofsted told us we could take children from the beginning of the term they became 3 in the same ratios ..they called them rising 3 .

We never did, feeling it better for us to take them in as they turned 3 so usually having only one start at a time..made settling so much easier for all as we had more time to spend with all.

Thanks - I understand the term 'rising threes' and where it originates from - doesn't mean that I personally have to like or accept it :ph34r:xD

I probably sound completely unreasonable - but I have a distrust of this term and of the implications if we all start to use and accept it - one of the best things about being two is being allowed to be two in my humble! :1b Funny how we only use these terms for under fives - have never heard of anyone refer to a 'rising 11' - or a 'rising 13' etc. (do feel free to tell me these are used commonly if that's the case :1b)

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)