Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Rec/ yr1 and yr 2 in small classroom

Hi was wondering if anyone can help. I am starting a new job after Easter with eyfs year 1 and 2 in same class. At the moment it is v formal with worksheets,books whole class teaching and only 2 areas of continuous provision . I have been teaching a mixed rec and year 1 class for 4 years and never feel like I get the balance right. Has anyone got any planning formats they use, timetables etc of how I can run it but more like an eyfs unit with continuous provision but also cater for year 1 and 2. Any help would be great fully received.

Guest LornaW

Wow! Seggi now that is a challenge but I believe it is do-able! First set up your environment and decide how you are going cover the curriculum. You may want to use books as a theme or have some themes/topics and then you need to find a provocation or hook to get the children engaged. Then look at the curriculum and mind map what you think will be covered and what levels for the different children in your class. You can do directt teaching in small groups and have challenges for the older children while the EY children have child initiated. I would suggest you look at the Sally Featherstone books Carrying on in Key Stage One as they are full of a wealth of ideas.

I have some timetables on my computer and if you are interested send me a direct message and I'll email them to you.

LornaW

Edited by LornaW

Thanks lorna

I had a quick look at these books earlier as I have got moving into ks1 book and they recommended these also. Do u make up your own challenges or is there a website with some on? My topic has been already chosen for me 'homes around the world' .i was going to tie in materials in sci, 3 pigs in literacy etc. I intended to teach small gps but the previous teacher said they can't do independent learning so might need some training. Do u initiate challenges at start of week and how do u track these? I would love to see your timetables etc so will give u my email thank u very much for your support.

Seggi x

• 2 months later...

Hi Lorna W. I Hope you dont mind but I wld love to see yr timetables as well please as starting with mixed rec / yr1 in Sep. I am going to run as eyfs class but not sure how to fit in all focus tasks etc. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)