Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mud Kitchens

Guest lou73

Guest lou73

Hi,

I am really committed to making a mud kitchen in the nursery where I work. I just wanted to ask has anyone got any advice or experiences of this type of venture? I have downloaded the Muddyfaces info but wanted to ask if anyone has anymore advice....thanks lou x

We have a mud kitchen in our setting and another in our Forest School.

In the setting, the mud kitchen is smaller because of lack of space.

We have placed several milk crates on the ground and on top of them a pallet.

If you do not have running water close by, you could have water in a washing up bowl.

The Forest School use a water container with tap. (see photo).

We insist the children wear aprons or waterproofs when working/baking in the mud kitchen.

Saucepans/dishes/wooden spoons are either recycled from parents or found in a Pound shop.

Great success with the children: so much learning through play.

I hope you enjoy the experience as much as we do.

post-19109-0-48243800-1363899307_thumb.jpg

I sent out a wanted note to parents to get our mud kitchen up and running and was very lucky as someone was emptying a house and they brought over 2 big bags of stuff!!

I bought a water container from B and M for £1.29 or something like that. Old wine or beer barrels (for making wine or beer at home) are great too because of the tap!

This is one that my better half made from pallets. We have 3 or 4 of them dotted around the outdoor environment - 2 near our mud pit and one near the sandpit. We also have a 'double' one that is in our little woodland area - this is a mixing or potion station. There are four sinks - two on one side and two on the other with funnels and pipes running from the shelves above the sinks.

post-2157-0-78319800-1364039472_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is one that my better half made from pallets. We have 3 or 4 of them dotted around the outdoor environment - 2 near our mud pit and one near the sandpit. We also have a 'double' one that is in our little woodland area - this is a mixing or potion station. There are four sinks - two on one side and two on the other with funnels and pipes running from the shelves above the sinks.

That's lovely! :1b

• 9 months later...

We would love to have a mud kitchen in our garden but we have a big problem with cats leaving us little presents!! We had a designated mud put to use but as soon as it is dug over by the children playing the cats seem to think it is an invitation to use it as a toilet. Anyone have the same problem or have any suggestions?

We would love to have a mud kitchen in our garden but we have a big problem with cats leaving us little presents!! We had a designated mud put to use but as soon as it is dug over by the children playing the cats seem to think it is an invitation to use it as a toilet. Anyone have the same problem or have any suggestions?

you can buy bags of cheap compost and leave it in the bags or decant into a tub trug ....it can often be recycled as long as the children haven't spread it across the garden!

• 1 month later...

This was our mud kitchen when it was new, not so clean anymore! our children love it we have added a water butt which we put some water in each morning. Made from an old bed, some breeze blocks, a donated tv cabinet and sink. x

post-35432-0-54952400-1393102081_thumb.jpg

There is a hexagonal covered digging pit in the Cosy catalogue which might help.

• 1 month later...

We have a bark pit (at ground level) which is 4' square. We cover it with an old green blind, weighted down with wooden planks; it seems to work.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)