Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feelin Fed Up

i look after a child with a statement. Speech and language, dont know if you read the posts back in june but I have tried everywhere to get started on a qualification on this. With no joy..

The child I work with seems to make progress one day and fall the next. He has just in school began to speak voluntary without prompting. But i fee he is depending to much on me. He expects me to put his coat on his peg, but letters in his bag of which he is capable of. I struggle to get his attention on a one to one basis. I have done jolly phonics three times with him and we are still struggling. He is very stubborn and I have to keep being wuite firm with him. Mum says shes glad she cant be firm because its her little boy. Whilst getting ready for pe he wants me to dress him. But when I'm not there he does it himself. Where do you draw the line. He just doesnt seem interested in learning and i cant help but feel my presence is not helping..... he speak to me, he obvisouly has learnt to trust me. However anyone else he clams up for. When he gets assessed he wont speak so the experts dont see him like I do. just feel my hours might be useful elsewhere. Before I started he was nursery age, nursery staff seem to think he shouldnt have a statement because he is just stubborn and lazy. he can do what ever you ask as long as your firm. if a teacher asks him to do omething he shakes his head saying no..

What do I do.

Mandi

sorryto hear that you feel that way Mandi. I'm not sure what the answer is but it does sound as if he expects you to run around after him. Perhpas you could be busy elsewhere at the times when you know he can cope and perhaps you need to use some stickers as incentives etc. Behaviour modification can be hard work and you will need the support of others in your team to make this work but could be worth a try?

Thanks sue.

I have tried stickers, he looks at me as if I'm daft. Mum seems to run rings around him, so thats probably where its coming from. As for support from others, I asked advice from our senco...who replies..thats tricky you probally have more experiance in early years than me. Shes a ks2 teacher...

Hello

I don't think you need to be so harsh on yourself.

This little boy obviously needs help and is probably spoilt rotten at home as a way of coping with him.

The fact that he trusts you is a big step and maybe he isn't interested in learning. I know that I would switch of if I had heard Jolly Phonics 3 times!!

May be he finds learning difficult, boring, or may be his learning style hasn't been tapped in to yet.

Incentives are a good idea. What does he like doing?, playin with? One method that we used to use with similar children is an idea based upon the TEACHH approach in teaching Autistic children, but can be used successfully wit others.

1 table against a wall and a way from distractions ( if poss)

1 tray at each side of the table

Left tray is start, right tray is finish

In the start tray are very easy activities based upon child's interests. one activity to begin with. Child completes activity and then gets to choose what he wants to do.

This time could be limited using a sandtimer.

Increase tasks and level of difficulty slowly.

You never know, it may work!!!!!

Take heart.

He trusts you and so will work with you at some point. As for your senco....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this can help

Kate

Thanks Kate.

Weve just gone to year one together, so the play activities arent really there. I will try the system though it sounds great. I have said jolly phonics isnt working with him. Dont get me wrong its a fantastic system, however when you have communication problems and can only speak three words at a time, i find it hard. When youre presented with a picture of an aeroplane to make the nnnn sound, its confusing for him. He cant assoicate aeroplane and nnn. I have suggested using something more simple and basic i.e a is apple b is for ball. but no we use jolly phonics and thats it.

Mandi

Hi Mandi,

I was supporting a child last year who sounds similar to your child although he had complex SN. He started to become quite dependant on me and would try it on. I needed to be firm with him but due to his SN (autistic/dyspraxic/S+L + others) there were times he did need genuine help and it was hard trying to work out whether it was a genuine need or not When I knew he could do something eg putting his coat on his peg I would tell him firmly to do it before turning away and talking to another child/doing something else. It sometimes needed quite a few firm 'coat on peg' s and due to distractions didn't usually happen until he was the last one left but we would normally get there. We tried stickers but he had no interest until half way through the year (if poss get parents on board to really praise him if he's got a sticker) or you could try a gold star chart.

If you feel he doesn't need you there for something go and do something else whilst keeping an eye out for him he will get the message - eventually. I also used the TEACHH system combined with a communication book. You could try and identify if there are any times he is more likely to cooperate, or any situations - the child I worked with used to do everything I asked him to on a 1:1 basis in a seperate classroom, but in the classroom there were so many distactions he went into his own little world. you say that 'we' use jolly phonics and that's it - do you mind me asking who 'we' is - class teacher, senco , head? I totally agree that jolly phonics probably isn't working for him you need something much simpler for him I used letterland as he was already familiar with the characters.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow

Jo

Just a comment really, I went to a briefing for wave 3 support last year and the person doing it talked about "velcro kids" - those that have been attached to an adult as if that will be the be all and end all of their support, and talked about how this does bring about a learned dependence on that adult. Doesn't answer your query, but might make you feel less isolated with your feelings. If I can find the notes I wrote I'll add more about what she said. :D

Mandi,

Give a try to 'nnn' for nose... Make him touch your nose when you are making the sound and with his other hand he is to touch his nose. He will feel it! "N" for nose.

I use Jolly Phonics, but I also add other possible actions that could help the children if I see that is the case.

Best wishes,

SmileyPR

Hi Mandi,

I was supporting a child last year who sounds similar to your child although he had complex SN. He started to become quite dependant on me and would try it on. I needed to be firm with him but due to his SN (autistic/dyspraxic/S+L + others) there were times he did need genuine help and it was hard trying to work out whether it was a genuine need or not  When I knew he could do something eg putting his coat on his peg I would tell him firmly to do it before turning away and talking to another child/doing something else. It sometimes needed quite a few firm 'coat on peg' s and due to distractions didn't usually happen until he was the last one left but we would normally get there. We tried stickers but he had no interest until half way through the year (if poss get parents on board to really praise him if he's got a sticker) or you could try a gold star chart.

If you feel he doesn't need you there for something go and do something else whilst keeping an eye out for him he will get the message - eventually. I also used the TEACHH system combined with a communication book. You could try and identify if there are any times he is more likely to cooperate, or any situations - the child I worked with used to do everything I asked him to on a 1:1 basis in a seperate classroom, but in the classroom there were so many distactions he went into his own little world. you say that 'we' use jolly phonics and that's it - do you mind me asking who 'we' is - class teacher, senco , head? I totally agree that jolly phonics probably isn't working for him you need something much simpler for him I used letterland as he was already familiar with the characters.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow

Jo

38126[/snapback]

Thanks Jo

We as school only use jolly phonics. I have asked to use letterland so many times and its no Jolly phonics this Jolly phonics that...

I do wonder if there could be something more than speech and language problems. He will sometimes work on 121 but still goes of in his own little world. I have started to look at the way i do the activites for him, thinking they may no be stimulating enough. He really struggles with formation of writing. He can seem to remember hardly any sounds weve been through. He is going to be six in june and now where near reading yet. He wont work with the speech therapist or education pshyc. I do feel isolated, I am no expert Ive tried to get myself studing and find a course even if I have to pay for it myself. But with no look. Ican are v expensive. Plus I'm half way through my NVQ 3.

At most he can put together 3 words at a time but they are clear. This is progress from last year.

Mandi,

Give a try to 'nnn' for nose... Make him touch your nose when you are making the sound and with his other hand he is to touch his nose.  He will feel it!  "N" for nose.

I use Jolly Phonics, but I also add other possible actions that could help the children if I see that is the case.

Best wishes,

SmileyPR

38153[/snapback]

Thats a fantastic idea. Ive tried to include t for thomas as mum says he spends most of hs time at home watching thomas the tank. During the one to one, he can say it and point to it but cant match t on a flashcard to thomas. (Which Is what i was asked to do)

Mandi

Thanks Kate.

When youre presented with a picture of an aeroplane to make the nnnn sound, its confusing for him. He cant assoicate aeroplane and nnn.

38124[/snapback]

Yep, I agree with you. Another one I don't like is the picture of a train with ch for choo choo because the children all think it's chain, not train!

I use my own action for w. Instead of w for wheel I do w for windscreen wiper and get the children to use one arm to make the wiper action - works really well and reinforces the letter shape too.

Going back to motivation, maybe your little friend would be more willing to comply for a different sort of reward to a sticker? - say 5 minutes play with a construction toy, or similar? We set up behaviour boards with our behavioural psychologist - the children have to earn x amount of tokens to get their reward (which they select prior to starting their work). They start with perhaps two tokens and gradually build up. The key is to give tham small manageable targets to achieve so that they can taste success very quickly.

Mandi,

It sounds like this child does have more than S+L problems. If you wanted to you could try making a list of all the things he does which are slightly different than that of another child, its surprising when you look at all the little clues added together what you see. But giving a child a 'possible label' of his difficulties does not always help you to help him.

Make sure his IEP is in little steps and all are manageable. Go with your gut instinct as to what is helping him and what isn't if it isn't working try and change it (does he respond more to tactile and sensory stimulus?) keep things as short as possible and gradually build up to longer sessions

I know what you mean about courses - I have looked into it aswell but there is nothing I have found suitable that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm no expert but if you want some suggestions/ideas let me know.

You obviously know this child quite well so go with what you think will help. If you look back to where he started I'm sure you will see lots of things that have improved even if it is in tiny steps. And that is down to you. He probably hasn't had any formal educational input since the end of last term and it often takes a while for children to get back into things so hopefully things will get better.

Keep smiling :D Tomorrow may be the day we make a difference.

Jo

Mandi is this child ready for phonics? How is his basic word vocabulary? If his speech is limited to X3 information carrying words I would expect the first priority would be to develop his language skills. Does he know the topic vocabulary.

If you have to do phonics try and make collections of things beginning with a sound mix in somethings that do not and get him to sort them into two trays. Make this a hands on practical activity. If time is short make picture cards from clip art, post these into boxes.

Mandi is this child ready for phonics? How is his basic word vocabulary? If his speech is limited to X3 information carrying words I would expect the first priority would be to develop his language skills. Does he know the topic vocabulary.

If you have to do phonics try and make collections of things beginning with a sound mix in somethings that do not and get him to sort them into two trays. Make this a hands on practical activity. If time is short make picture cards from clip art, post these into boxes.

38288[/snapback]

His basic word vocabulary is basic. He has just started to speak voluntary. When he talks its intial sounds missing. I.e walking becomes alking. I have just received a speech programme from the speech thearpist (after 12 months of waiting). She has included jolly phonics. She has suggested say the sound by showing the picture, then doing then action and keep swapping for around 5 minutes. Im currently working on verbs, one activity I have done is make the doll lying down.. What is the doll doing. (again from his programme. He has been assessed today by a teacher who helping out with special needs, she has found that he knows six out of the ten sounds i have done. Formation he is struggling with...He can write a letter one minute..then its back to front and upside down. He isnt able to follow dots when doing the sound sheets. Like I say i'm no expert and I have been told to follow his IEP. I just have a gut feeling that s+l isnt the only problem, his concentration is v short. Speech is similar to a toddler when its king of mumbled and you can pick out the odd word. God I'm drained. I alos work with a little boy who has an irish accent with a speech problem...

Mandi

We have made some simple cards using clip art to help the children who have articulation problems including those who omit the initial sound from words; these are based on activities given to us by SALT therapist

Word groups should be simple cv words ( consonant / vowel )

bee, sea, tea, tree, 3, knee, pea, key, D, me,

other groups -

fair, bear,hair,pear,tear,

star, car, jar

dog,log,frog,jog

fox,box,socks

Use plasticine / playdough to make letters as an enrichment activity, trace over raised shapes with fingers, draw letters in a small tray of sand, this could be a lid from a box. Collage letter shapes, use glue to make letter shape first. Draw letters on his back with your finger and let him guess the letter, get him do the same for you to guess.

My experience of jolly phonics is that the print on the work sheets is very small, enlarge them on the photocopier.

I would expect he needs more practice than the rest of the class and should practice the letter formation more often, include some writing patterns zig zags , wiggly lines, encourage him to cross the page in one go from left to right, use traffic lights to show him where to start green to go red to stop.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)