Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Centre closures

Melba

Are any children's centres near you under threat?

The one near us seems to be open less and less as time goes on and there does not seem to be a huge interest in it in the local community probably because it is quite affluent.

The question is should it shut to preserve others which are more used? If so what happens to the building which was developed for the purpose? What was the point in opening it just to give up so soon?

It all seems quite sad but, then if they keep attacking our funding, we may not stay open forever either.

The one near me is still doing ok as far as I'm aware. the council closed all of their own DNs about 3 years ago so if the CC went too a lot of children would be without a place anywhere.

I think the notion of a CC as a physical place is the issue - in reality a CC is the point of delivery of services linked to families - and doesn't have to provide child care. You can have the services "federated" under different localities or providers but not have a central building as such. Several CCs can have 1 management structure which saves funds to some extent. If the building belongs to the council they can use it for other purposes or if it is surplus then they may sell them off.

Cx

• Like 1

Yes have to admit our system does seem to work well, groups are held at local halls, and parent meetings etc can be held either in settings the children attend, in [CC] office at library, or even in the parents home if they wish.

It does seem a very user-friendly system - for us anyway. And always just a phone call away with lots of support for us if needed.

We have a satellite CC building on site that cost £450,000 to build/resource.

It's been open about 5 years and services provided there were one stay and play session and one messy play session per week.

From April it will no longer be a CC

As a school we hope to take on the building to provide 2 year old nursery!

The bigger CC buildings near us have been chosen to provide early intervention but ours wasnt chosen.

My understanding was that had the school not been interested in the building the county council can rent it out to whom ever they feel is a suitable business proposition!

We were so excited when they said we were getting the CC originally.

What a shame it never hit the mark

We have a satellite CC building on site that cost £450,000 to build/resource.

It's been open about 5 years and services provided there were one stay and play session and one messy play session per week.

From April it will no longer be a CC

As a school we hope to take on the building to provide 2 year old nursery!

Arhh, now it becomes very clear, this is how they are going to provide the places for 2 year olds in schools. Kick out Children's Centres that were put in schools with "Spare Capacity".

Wonder how they plan to fit in extra 4 year olds (rising 5's) when they realise birth rates are on the up; oh yes I know the answer to that one build new schools to replace all the ones that were closed!!!!!

Can anyone else make any sense of this? Its so getting near my time to throw all my toys out of the pram and retire. :huh:

• Like 1

Wonder how they plan to fit in extra 4 year olds (rising 5's) when they realise birth rates are on the up; oh yes I know the answer to that one build new schools to replace all the ones that were closed!!!!!

LAs can't build new schools - only free schools and academies currently. LAs can only expand the schools they have. Hence we now have larger and larger 4, 5 even 6 form primaary schools to accommodate ncreases in birth rates.

To be balanced our CCs are doing Ok, we have federated some but still have the same number of centre points we had and we have a council politically committed to Early Years and early interventions.

Cx

• 1 month later...

We are a very busy children centre with over 10 volunteers and we are working hard to support families in this difficult climate through good partnership working with health, local schools and nurseries, colleges, family learning, police, social care and voluntary organisations.

Our work is carried out with full community involvement and an active parents forum.

Outcomes are good with children's development supported and parents are achieving educationally aswell as getting back to work.

This good work has been recognised by our local authority and funding has been given for another year. We are evidencing all we do so that closing us would be very difficult.

Keep fighting...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)