Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cooking activities

we did have one child who said he did not like cakes but on making krispie cakes ( i found out he ate cocopops for breakfast ) realised they were just like cocopops and he loved them !!

Just realised spell checker on here is set to English (U.S )

These recipes look lovely but I notice most contain egg when I went into nursery several years ago I was told that we weren't allowed to use eggs in recipes following recommendation from environmental health?? Obviously not using egg means we are unable to do many recipes. Has anyone else heard this and doesnt use eggs?

no egg was one of those myths , coming from the salmonella in eggs scare, , so long as they are cooked, there is no problem other than allergy ones. for safety I used pasteurised egg white which is usually the one used uncooked in powder form or from chiller in supermarket - used to be near the milk in mine,,

Wow, thanks so much for posting these. Have just printed loads of to give to my appointed cooking lady!! We do lots of cooking at pre-school but am always worried that it seems to be more sweet things!! Must make more of an effort to balance it better!!

Thanks again. :1b

Devonmaid

Thanks for sharing your brilliant looking recipes :D

Just as an aside one year our cohort included a little lad whose dad was a chef.....had worked in really quite posh hotels in LA and so when he offered to come in and cook we were delighted (he was terribly handsome too which of course added to the fact)....well he made pizzas from scratch and he was obviously used to having a kitchen porter to tidy up behind him....you have never seen such a mess but the kids loved it and the pizzas were yummy xD :wub: xD

• Like 1

yes it does Mary - historically the child whose birthday it was got A chocolate button at register and then gave each child one ( alternative for any dairy intolerant children) - happy birthday sung with cardboard cake and present and card to take home ( were not allowed to open it !)

at register we sing happy Birthday and give present and card ( child can open it if they wish ) and child get to choose a friend or two to take in kitchen and make cakes either krispie choc or fairy cakes - we then have fruit and then child gives out cakes to all and we sing again with candles and photos - it really is lovely and so far positive feedback from all - we always ask child if they ok with the singing as some don't like all the attention or our voices :D

I will definitely put this forward at our next staff meeting.

these are great recipes but just one question, we tend to use recipe books as then the children can see a photo of what they are making. How do you find it works with your lovely cards when they might not actually know what they are producing as the end result

these are great recipes but just one question, we tend to use recipe books as then the children can see a photo of what they are making. How do you find it works with your lovely cards when they might not actually know what they are producing as the end result

Not really sure how to answer that! We talk about the activity, ask questions e.g. 'has anyone tasted ...?' 'what do you think ...?' 'what will happen ...?' etc. There is usually a photo at the top of the recipe card, to give some idea; but even if there was a photo of the finished item, what the children have made might not look quite like the picture - would that then make them think that they have 'failed'? How often have we followed a recipe but it hasn't turned out quite like the picture?! And of course, by the time children have perhaps spilt flour on the floor or eaten half the mixture when you turn your back, the end results are not necessarily going to be like a picture anyway! Most of the recipes are of foods that are familiar e.g. bread, biscuits, muffins, cakes etc. so the children generally have a good idea of what these things look like.

We also talk about the fact that we are using a 'recipe card' and that most people use a recipe book or the internet. We always photocopy the recipe card for the children to take home so that they can also make the food at home if they wish. I have found that this if often a spur or incentive to get parents cooking with their child at home - as well as the staff!

thanks Devonmaid for your answer, I do love some of your recipes so it might be that I make them and photograph the finished result and add this to the cards as with our weekly 'cookery club', the children are used to thumbing through the cook books to look for what they want to make the week after

Hi I am new to EYFS forum and also fairly new to early years teaching. I would like to do some cooking with my FS1 children for my observation next week but I'm finding it hard to work out which statements from Development Matters would fit and what my objectives for the focused session would be. Can anyone advise, I know cooking with children is a great learning experience and wonderful for language development but i need something a little more specific for my obs.

Any advice greatly received : )

i think the joy of cooking is that it covers many areas and you can tailor it a bit as to what recipe you make as to what you want observed. for example

PSED - play co-operatively taking turns, confident to try new activities,work as part of a group.

CLL- listen attentively, follow instructions,use past present and future forms ( what was it like before it was mixed, what will it be like when cooked?cakes for birthdays)

etc etc

i think the joy of cooking is that it covers many areas and you can tailor it a bit as to what recipe you make as to what you want observed. for example

Completely agree with this. The last time I did it my focus was comparing mass - we measured out our ingredients by balancing against other things so there was lots of talk about whether it was heavier or lighter.

• 4 weeks later...

We do some cooking but find that our children would rather have the experience of getting their hands dirty than the end product, ask parents to donate large spoons, bowls etc and dried items from their cupboards that they don't want and set up a table inside or out with bowls and utensils so the children can just mix and feel. take photos or video to show the parents an 'end product', i.e. their children having fun and experiencing different textures, then all the children can take part

thanks for sharing Devonmaid...those are fab.

We love cooking and find it a very valuable experience and as they cook and bake here it's filtered across to home :-D

Guest p0rridge

Just browsing over different articles and came across this one.. Thank you Devonmaid for sharing all your receipes, I really dont think we cook enough but some of your ideas are so good and appear so simple. I Particularly loved the teddy bears, cant wait to do a teddy bear activity. Looking at spirals so snail bread will come in handy. Its just fitting it all in. Its hard not to let all the children do it all in one day. Its just a new routine we will have to get used to, but it will take the pressure of the staff having small groups on a regular basis. In that way the children will get to know the day they will be cooking and look forward to it even more.

Edited by p0rridge

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)