Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New childcare changes planned in January

Steve

As for childminders, I saw a great response yesterday from a mum of three children under five who spoke with great eloquence about how damn hard it was. I'll see if I can find it. Basically she was saying that the care tasks alone required with three small children was enough to keep her occupied throughout the day, and she just couldn't see where a lone childminder would be able to find the time (or energy) to engage in the high quality learning expected. Just as I was wondering if she was selling childminders short, she happened to mention that she's a Level 6 practitioner - so as she said, as qualified as you could get.

I both agree and disagree with this. My experience has been that I would rather pick up two 3-4 year olds from nursery, to go with a baby and a two year old, than have three children all of different ages Children of that age are a bit like ponies - they go softer in pairs. It takes little extra effort to feed them, they need little support for toileting, and they amuse each other giving more time for me to support the smaller children. They are more likely to engage in activities - egging each other along and working together.

The problem with most childminders (and I fully understand why - they can't otherwise fill the space) is that they charge for the time children are in nursery so parents aren't getting value for their FFE. Of course I can understand the RCM wanting to provide the FFE, but most 3-4year-olds benefit from a larger group setting for those three hours a day. So if RCMs can up their quota after nursery (while providing FFE for children who aren't suited to a larger setting), then they might be able not to charge for those hours. Parents pay less, RCM has more time for younger children, older children enjoy each other's company, RCM earns a decent amount.

Honey

• 1 month later...

Hi all, sorry if this has already been brought to your attention but as you are all probably aware that the government is planning to increase adult to child ratios and introduce agencies for childminders.

The following links you will find the first highly informative, containing blogs, replies from MP's, parent campaigns and much more.

There are 2 petitions one with nearly 25,000 signatures and the other nearly 24,000 signitures. Please show your support on either petition of which links can be found for both on The Together for Quality link.

Please share, we need as much support as possible the government are pushing ahead without listening to those that work In Early Years.

One Voice, Speaking Up For The Children Of This Country;

http://togetherforquality.com/

https://www.change.o...to-adult-ratios

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)