Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is There Anyone Out There Who Only Offers Outdoors Pre-School Provisio

So the main body of our Pre-school closes at the end of next week due to falling numbers. Yet our Forest School survives and has healthy numbers for next term.

Is there anyone else out there who offers purely outdoors provision? it would be great to chat with another setting who has gone down this route.

Kx

So the main body of our Pre-school closes at the end of next week due to falling numbers. Yet our Forest School survives and has healthy numbers for next term.

Is there anyone else out there who offers purely outdoors provision? it would be great to chat with another setting who has gone down this route.

Kx

No, but I'm really interested in how your's works. This is something I'd like to do, any chance you can expain a bit about how you work? (please)

Are you happy to have visitors? :1b :1b :1b xx

Hi Louby loo

We have run our FS for just over a year now and its going really well. Currently its held every Thursday from 9.30-12 throughout the year, the children have literally watched the woods change around them. Next year we hope to run on a Mon and Wed from 9.15-1.15 as long as Ofsted agree, and we are also renting out our FS staff to the village school every Thursday morning.

The children have benefitted hugely from the FS this year and it is exciting to see it go forward. However there are very few 'just outside' provisions in England, although loads in Scotland, so Im worried what Ofsteds decision will be.

K

Why are things so different in England compared to Scotland? Is it hand-washing? EYFS? Mindset? Proximity to forests?

I have an interest in this because I need to finish a degree in Environmental Studies, but since I started it twelve years ago my life has taken a very different turn, so I was thinking of giving my study an Early Years spin - thinking forest school might be interesting to look into.

Watching with interest.

Honey

• Like 1

I thought there was one in our area which was outside all the time, but now I've looked, they're in a building, but certainly seem to do a lot outside - www.littleblossomsnursery.co.uk . We run Forest School one morning a week through most of the year, but stop in December, January and February because it would be too cold being out for 4 hours without any heated shelter. What sort of shelter do you have if you're out all throughout the year? We love Forest School, the children gain so much in confidence and independence.

Jo

You may find this link interesting:

http://www.farleynurseryschool.com/

I visited the nursery when Sue had just opened it and had only about 6 children. She is inspirational (not to be confused with the other Sue Palmer (Toxic Childhood) and it is well worth a visit, just to hear her enthusing about the outdoors.

HTH

Edited by Phoebe123

Our FS has been going for a year. It is set in a beautiful woodland with a stream running through it. We ran all through the winter, when it snowed we went sledging, in the rain we got muddy.We built fires, dens, used hammers and saws. It has been fab and this year we won an award from Essex Wildlife Trust for our work with the local community, local environment and contribution to the local economy.

We are hoping to get a shelter in our woods in the coming months - last year we survived without one but with our extended sessions we feel it is necessary. It is fantastic the children learn so much from being outside.

Still nervous about what Ofsted will say though as we have no indoor setting to balance with the forest school but we shall see...

why dont you email Julie at i'm a teacher get me outside here. I know thtat she is working with settings in england and is working with 'cosy' at the moment too. I think if you are being given awards from Essex council then they will also be there to back you. Perhaps there are some grants you could go for...maybe even to send you to scotland to do some more research. If you are solid in your practice Ofsted will back you. You just need to make sure all your back up is there...they are not there to decide what sort of setting you are running but just to make sure it fulfills the requirements...have you rung them ?

• 10 months later...

I may be able to help! I put a post in under Forest School/Outdoor Provision this morning about our approach.

We're in woods and other natural spaces three hours each day throughout the year. The children attend a minimum

of three days per week. What we do is child-led and we don't plan - it's not based on adult-initiated activities.

I've run the setting since September 2005 and have plenty of experience to share.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have recently qualified as a level 3 forest school leader and am looking for a site to set up a 100% outdoor kindergarten. In the mean time I am offering forest school to existing early years providers in my area.

I understand your concern about OFTED but I'm sure that my forest school lecturer mentioned that there is a senior OFSTED inspector involved with the Forest School Association. (http://www.forestschoolassociation.org)

That would be another good point to share your concerns and ask for any advice.Best of luck and keep us posted with how you are getting on.

• 4 months later...

Hi we have just set up our Forest School nursery (wwww.forestschoolnursery.co.uk) but we do have a base and our woodland site is 10 minutes away.

I would be really interested to hear how you get on and for you to share some of your experiences!

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)