Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Characteristics Of Learning -How To Do Document ?

I only use the Laevers as a general across the whole observation, so it might come out as 4+ if some aspects were higher than a general 4 across the board.

I meant in addition to the areas of learning.....I haven't used Leuven scale points on our observations before :o is that a bad thing??

I've attached my long ob or Learning story as we call it with the list pinched from mouse63 :) also my old one with dispositions and attitudes they're pretty similar anyway.

In the areas of learning boxes, we have a number on all DM statements, so we just put numbers which refer to the right statement

Long Observation EYFS 2008.doc

Long Observation EYFS 2012.doc

I only use the Laevers as a general across the whole observation, so it might come out as 4+ if some aspects were higher than a general 4 across the board.

OK, so you'd give one 'score' in terms of the overall scale. But you might well record that the characteristics that you'd observed were for more than one column and multiple 'attributes'?

Key Dude - don't know if this is any help at all........I have been using Leuven Scales for years........I just add to each observation that I have recorded in LJ something along the lines of ....... showed 'high level of involvement'........then when I make my summative assessment (termly) I use that opportunity to say .......levels of involvement and well-being consistently high (if that's the case - or something else if not).......

Edit to say 'well-being and involvment'!

Edited by sunnyday

Yes thanks sunnyday, it's good to know the way people are actually using it. I'm trying to figure out the extent and variety of ways it's used - it's quite loosely defined at the moment and it seems it's being interpreted in different ways by different LAs.

We use it like that too, also do a scan of all children 3 times a year,

also i use the scales on areas in my setting to see whether they work or not and we use them to help base an action plan for the setting

It's almost as though CoL assessments should be attached to the children rather than to individual observations? It seems like more of a general observation on their well being and involvement levels. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding here.

Just another point - I wonder if all practitioners use it at all?

not something that ive come across apart from on here!!

i agree with cait and steve ...really think we are overthinking this one!......on reading the guidance it really feels to me that this is more about evaluating our practise and how we operate with the children to encourage then to become critical thinkers /active learners etc(only MO of course)

not something that ive come across apart from on here!!

i agree with cait and steve ...really think we are overthinking this one!......on reading the guidance it really feels to me that this is more about evaluating our practise and how we operate with the children to encourage then to become critical thinkers /active learners etc(only MO of course)

Ah right - I will always defend use of Leuven scales! :1b

Oh yes, I won't be stopping recording using Leavers, I like the wording of it, so helpful in seeing how children really are engaging. I think some of the CoL duplicate it, but I think that they help us to assess where children are on the scale too, so they help each other.

I have not seen anything in my training or having read and re-read the EYFS that says that the CoL have to be attatched to your obs!!

I think they are there to make you think about your child more deeply perhaps, but not have yet another entry on your ob sheet!

The obs sheets we were given to use by our county at the training actually had them listed, and most of the 2part training was spent talking about the importance of knowing how children were learning and showing how we knew we knew :/. I think they will just act as a reminder to some staff that they should be considering CoEL's............but again it's just seems like counties are giving very inconsistent guidelines as to what's in and what's out.

we were given a suggested 'model' at our training which was a standard te whariki learning story form with the strands removed and the CoEL put in the place, a bit of a cobble up really and I have seen far better ways of including them in obs on here

I agree too its an attachment to the child and not an observation but IMO it gets staff thinking about the CoL's and becoming familiar with them in terms of the child if they're under their noses and they have to identify them in their observations, more so for inexperienced staff new to planning......I don't know how many times newly qualified staff, even level 3's, have come to interviews and don't know what the EYFS is, it seems when training in college's they overlook this :blink:

observation form - use sept\'12.docxHi here's a draft of my observation sheet for new eyfs, you could add/change the CoL's i just kind of shortened them to 1/2 words rather than a whole sentence.

Hi guys im new to the forum. ^_^

We are currently looking at how we can update our obs sheets to fit in with the new eyfs and i think that sheet looks great!

i just have a few questions

With the COLs are you just going to highlight what the child has achieved?

also how will you evaluate the 7 areas of development? would you just write in the months?

any help would be sooo much appreciated

Thank you x :D

Hi elisay, welcome to the forum :)

Just going to tick any of the CoEL's observed and then we are going to use a Tracker sheet, which hopefully will show over time if children are learning across the 3 or learning is predominantly in 1/2 areas, if that makes sense, have added a tracker sheet in another thread, think there may also be a couple more somewhere but not sure how to put here from iPad sorry.

It's on pg3 of this thread :)

Edited by mouse63

we were given a suggested 'model' at our training which was a standard te whariki learning story form with the strands removed and the CoEL put in the place, a bit of a cobble up really and I have seen far better ways of including them in obs on here

Would it be possible to share the doc as I am particularly interested in Te Whariki. Thanks in advance but will understand if sharing not possible.

Would it be possible to see what this looks like as I am very interested in Te Whariki, thank you. :1b

Guest lucyevans

I have not seen anything in my training or having read and re-read the EYFS that says that the CoL have to be attatched to your obs!!

I think they are there to make you think about your child more deeply perhaps, but not have yet another entry on your ob sheet!

pg 7 of the Evaluation Schedule for inspectors says they should look for 'evidence of planning for children's next stages of learning based on staff assessment and a secure knowledge of the characterisics of learning and children's development'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)