Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision Plans

Huge thanks to you all! Am so busy with moving site that I'm seriously concerened about time to get the paperwork done for the new place and EYFS by September, especially as we'll be inspected fairly promptly!

Sue, am interested in your medium term planning too, how does this work exactly? x

Hi Pam and moo20

We have used ideas from these two books and have developed ideas of our own from them. The idea is that the provocation or idea is a springboard to encourage children to take it where they want e.g., P is for Pirates led to lots of different pirate books, we built a pentagon den to be a pirate cave and this then led into having treasure boxes and maps which went off at a different tangent into dressing up and having a dressing up week.

It sort of works on a mind map principle where you consider different aspects such as

What matters to children

Consider a bank of do/make ideas to have in place for those times when the children need support in getting going

Make a list of interesting words to share with the children to extend their vocabulary and spark their thoughts and interest

Think about how you can make enhancements by having visitors or ding visits

Consider what sort of books you have at your setting or might like to borrow/buy to support the provocation

Consider what sort of questions you can ask to encourage sustained shared thinking

Think about the big ideas

Consider what you need to use to support the provocation

Think about what sort of things you need to collect if you haven't got them in place already

Sometimes practitioners decide on the provocation other times the children will have some ideas or be showing some keen interest in something - generally we have enough ideas from this type of planning to last a good couple of weeks to a half term.

To plan each member of staff gets a blank planning sheet and maps out their ideas using the different aspects and then we pull all of the plans together and make a master of all the best ideas.

The books are really well worth reading if you can get hold of them as it really makes you think about what you are doing and why but most importantly why it matters. They are also very easy to read and share with other practitioners and well presented too.

Hope that helps

Hi I'm new to planning, seem to be struggling with long terms plans. I have noted down predictable interests and linked them to areas (prime & specific). Just looking through now at CLP's as know these have all got to be changed. Is this going to be enough for the long term planning. As I understand what doesn't get covered in long term plans go down on medium term planning am I understanding this, or am I going around in circles, as this what it feels like. Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Sue these plans are brilliant. What I was interested in were the books you use for medium term planning. How do these help, I have tried to look them up on amazon but they are out of stock. I have never heard of these books but would love to hear what you have to say. many many thanks x

What are the titles of th books?

Smiles

I love this, they are similar to my old ones and I love the layout. This is very cheeky of me but are you making the other areas? I don't mind doing them myself?!

x

Hi Claire28

Glad you like them, however having seen Sue's fantastic version I am going to convert to hers. It took me so long to do that one, that Sue having done such a good job makes my life a little easier.

Thank you for your kind comments - it is lovely to be able to help others - especially when the forum has been such a great help to me.

So far I have spent the first two weeks of my so called holiday making sure that my settings systems and paperwork (of which there is of course only a couple of pages xD :lol: xD ) reflect the minor :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: revisions made to the EYFS framework.

Having not had an OFSTED for nearly 4 years I suspect that they will come calling early in the new term - they no doubt will want to see everything in place.

Now I must get back to chanting my mantra - it goes "There's no paperwork in early years" xD :lol: xD :lol: xD

• Like 2

We were expecting a quick inspection when we moved to a new premises fsf addict......and still waiting 16 months later !

Did you move to a new postcode mouse? I would love to think I had a little breathing space the other end of this!!!

And well done Sue!!! Your a hero in my eyes! Am drowning in the build as it is so thank god I can cross one thing off my list now!!!! :rolleyes:

Wow - this is terrific - really brings the provision and the curriculum together. I'll be using it with thanks to SueJ. I've started altering it for my little practice and wondering WHO it should be written for the benefit of? There's only me so I don't need it to be written for other practitioners so started writing it for parents - changing 'the children' to 'your child' etc. Not sure that this is right though. Should I write it as a note to self, to parents, or to an advisor or Ofsted?

Honey

Guest cathy m

Thanks Sue, I've downloaded your word version. I appreciate the considerable amount of work you have put into these, well done

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

Thank you from me too - maybe I shall get some summer holidays after all... although I'm only on here as an excuse to sit and watch the olympics really!!!

Fab resource! Love how there are questions on there to remind adults in that area.

Thank you so much for sharing, I am so pleased I rejoined the site tonight :-). You are very kind to share Sue x

I can't help but agree with 'purplewednesday1' what is the point of these?? I mean don't get me wrong they look great....we had them for a year in my setting and i honestly don't know who used them they got lost in the background of the children's explorations. We have an LA Early Years Advisor she's never suggested we have them or even raised the point. We haven't had them for two years and i'm certainly not about to start trawling through continuous provsion sheets for over 15 areas for three different rooms for children aged 3months-5years :blink: Am i missing something is the EYFS not long term planning??.....for most of whats on the cpp's its just statements from the EYFS! IMO these cpp plans direct what the children will do, experience, learn.....this is not starting with the child staff should know how to interact with children, where to pitch the language and questions they offer, what they are looking to observe if they don't why are they there??

For our continuous provision in preschool(over 3's) we will be having consultative sessions with our children on what they think 'Construction', for example, is including there drawings, models, photographs taken by them and practioners, their voices annotated by practitioners, activities which we will participate in from our consultation will then be added along the way.....it will be similar to a giant 3D collage. So giving us a starting point for what our children already know and understand and what they want to explore next.....in under 3's it will be more on their experiences of construction, snapshots of their explorations which could be photographs, annotations, etc. made by practitioners and parents.

Maybe i'm wrong and i'm sure oFSTED will tell me in October/November time......will keep you posted whether i break the rules or not......i think not though ;)

I think personally the point of these is for constant and easy reminders at every provision at your setting. Yes i agree with what you are saying, and we could just look in our dev matters for the same information, but these sheets are individual to the areas they are in, and give some great ideas at a glance. Wether they get used or not is another topic, but i think if Ofsted or even parents come into your setting and see things like this in each area, it looks good, and it must be considered "good practice" by any EYA?

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a 5 wk jolly holiday and glad to see the Continuous Provision debate still......continuing! :)

Love your way of doing things jules2382, now THAT, i can see the point of.......very creative......a working document......original :)

If Ofsted dont like.?.... boo hoo....at least you've all had fun ...and Im no expert but I think it pretty much ticks all the boxes...if its box ticking theyre after? :)

Thank you too for saving me having to re-do all of my very useful continuous provision sheets. I do find that whatever you have no written "proof" of is what Ofsted would like to have seen and it shows parents/students etc. what useful learning we professionals know children get out of "just playing".

Thank you from me as well, I have spent quite some time this holiday working on CP and trying to make sure that it will be a useful tool for all concerned. I have downloaded your document and will use parts of it. Many thanks it must have taken quite a lot of time and hard work.