Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision Plans

Hi there,

In the resource section there are some very useful plans which I have laminated in my setting. I took these down today and they are on my to do list before the end of term / prior to September. Is anyone planning to re- do these in the new 7 areas ?

:rolleyes:

Hi there,

In the resource section there are some very useful plans which I have laminated in my setting. I took these down today and they are on my to do list before the end of term / prior to September. Is anyone planning to re- do these in the new 7 areas ?

:rolleyes:

Oh dorisdarling - it's going to be a very busy summer holiday :(

So many 'things' to change :blink:

To be honest I have so much buzzing around I'm not sure where to start. :)

Ditto :(

I'm really feeling the strain.......leavers to sort out.......new entrants to sort out........changes to ....well ..........everything :blink:

Double ditto! I will bring them home, and the policy stuff. It's a good job we have six weeks away from preschool to sort it out - it must be a nightmare for year-round settings!

• Like 2

With you all the way Sunnyday - last week I had a table of lists for parents to confirm information for as they had missed the deadlines e.g., leavers' party, summer outing, leavers' photos etc. and introduced " check the list before you exit the premises" rule to catch them all - one or two of them actually twigged that there's a lot going on at the moment xD :lol: xD :lol: xD

I have been working through the continuous provision planning - our was originally based on Cait's excellent model - am thinking of replacing look listen and note with active learning, creating and thinking critically ideas so that I can make sure that our planning is pinpointing these. So far I have transferred all the info to the new format and now need to cross reference to slight changes in DM and ELG wording. When finished will try to post them on here - having worked non-stop through the last five summer hols with degree and EYP stuff as well as the small matter of work I am hoping to have some time in the sun during the summer hols - that's if anyone can find it :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

• Like 2

With you all the way Sunnyday - last week I had a table of lists for parents to confirm information for as they had missed the deadlines e.g., leavers' party, summer outing, leavers' photos etc. and introduced " check the list before you exit the premises" rule to catch them all - one or two of them actually twigged that there's a lot going on at the moment xD :lol: xD :lol: xD

I have been working through the continuous provision planning - our was originally based on Cait's excellent model - am thinking of replacing look listen and note with active learning, creating and thinking critically ideas so that I can make sure that our planning is pinpointing these. So far I have transferred all the info to the new format and now need to cross reference to slight changes in DM and ELG wording. When finished will try to post them on here - having worked non-stop through the last five summer hols with degree and EYP stuff as well as the small matter of work I am hoping to have some time in the sun during the summer hols - that's if anyone can find it :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Looking forward to seeing those! That will save me a bit of time!!

Hi lovely ladies, as one who is open and working all through the summer I would really appreciate seeing your efforts for continuous provision - thank you in advance.

I will be busy looking at all the "must's" in the 2012 EYFS and doing something about them!!!! as well as planing rota's to cope with staff holidays, sorting holiday club activites for the older children, trying to prepare for tax return, doing supervisions/appraisals, trying to make sure I don't neglect my own two children and seeing if we can book a holiday. :( .

I bet I have missed something out. :o;)

...if you do get a six week holiday i do hope that at least 50% of it will be warm and sunny, thats not too musch to ask is it?

• Like 3

Well I'll hang on a bit then and hope you lovely ladies get it all sorted and posted on here by September!

There seems to be more to do with the 2 year old check and the changes this time.

Well with little else to do during the current precipitations I have cobbled together the book corner area CPP - it is a bit of a mission and slow progress but your comments would be appreciated before I begin trawling through the other areas.

Book Area for fsf.doc

Sue - I don't like it..........I LOVE it..........now if you could please do all of the other areas that would be great! ;) :1b

Thanks for sharing! :1b

• Like 1

It looks and reads fantastic SueJ ! Call me ignorant but why would you need all that information for a Book Corner? and then I guess you do the same for every other area of your continuous provision? How is it used? I can see that the section on shared thinking would be useful to help practitioners use appropriate language, however the rest of the information appears like the kind of thing you might be asked to show you understand the purpose of a Book Corner,when you are completing a task for a qualification? Does that make sense?

Is this kind of planning requested? It looks like an awful lot of work.....worthy of a childcare text book for teaching those who know very little. Id like to understand why you need to write everything down in such detail?

Im not being critical just astonished at the depth of planning some people achieve and who reads it and how its used?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue,

I am returning to nursery and sorting out my areas of learning as we have none bizarrely!! and stumbled upon your work you kindly shared. Thank you!! I appreciate it. It is a great model to follow and i feel the detail will support key workers! I feel guilty just downloading your work so if i can help you in anyway please let me know!! We are all in this together!! Cheesey but true!

Happy hols!!!!

Thankyou to everyone who has shared, it's really interesting to know what other settings are doing. I agree with the previous comment about these being worthy of a textbook or 'how to' manual for the EYFS (and let's face it there are enough companies currently trying to flog us stuff which won't be as good as the examples posted by the lovely forum members here).

My thoughts are these - yes, we must have a continous provision plan: we must have some sort of description of the activities that we have continously available to children - but do we need the long justifications for them? do we need the lists of things to do in the book corner for example? is it not enough to reference the headings in the DM statements that are addressed by the different areas? - in my view (and it is only my view and I may have missed the point entirely) isn't the whole idea of the continuous provision that it meets pretty much all of the DM statements pretty much all of the time - ie a child should be able to achieve the EYFS aims by accessing the continous provision only (no focus activites at all). If the adults leading the play (and therin lies a different management issue) are all trained and understand how to support critical thinking (where did Sustained Shared Thinking go?) then we shouldn't need to list out all the potential learning opportunities in each area as these should be inherent in the overall provision.

My plan will be (and I haven't done it yet) to write a curriculum statement detailing the things that are included in the continuous provision (e.g "Every day the children will have free access to the following: sand, a range of non-fiction and fiction books) I will then put the headings from the DM statements next to these. Obviously the Prime Areas will be next to all of them and the Specific areas will be next to some of them. I will also have a statement of intent regarding the methods that staff will be using to support the development of play ( and these will be the characteristics of learning). I won't be copying out the document, I will be cross referencing heading.

In the forefront of my mind is 'who is the planning for?' if it's parents I'd rather speak to them and show them myself what the documents are that we are working from, if it's Ofsted then they just need to know that we are planning to the curriculum and that we have every child in mind with all their different learning characteristics, if it's the staff - I expect them to know how to support a child's learning and see my job as being to train them to do this - and I'll support them and coach them as necessary, if it's the management (headteacher) well - that's me and I jolly well ought to know the new statements and shouldn't need them listed out in every area.

Am I going mad?

Have I missed the point?

Is there a parapet I can duck down behind?

pw x

• Like 3

At the forefront of my mind is ....'who actually bl**dy reads them' !

Got a bit paranoid last year seeing all these lovely cp plans thinking Christ I don't have any of them...best get some, spent hours and hours doing then just to tick another box and no one bothers referring to them anyway :/

• Like 3

No I agree with you. The reason we have them is that we were told we had to have them, like many other things! I asked at the time who it was for, as we had little posters in the book corner etc. (when I am in the book corner I am...) and was told in no uncertain terms that we just had to do them and that they should cover what equipment we provide, what was the potential for each AOL, what staff could do to enhance learning, and the four ' enjoy and achieve, be healthy etc' headings. So I did them, made them look appealing, put them in a slippy pocket file, put it on the window ledge, and there it stands, gathering dust.

• Like 4

Given that Ofsted inspect all provisions to ensure that high quality delivery of the EYFS is taking place I have just been through the Inspectors Evaluation Schedule - which is freely available on the Oftsed website (and on a previous thread recently on this forum). There is nothing to say that we have to have such detailed provision plans - we do have to know about it, support children in their play etc etc etc as we have all agreed, nothing to say that we have to have these documents. If we are told by LA that we have to have them on display- that is for the LA, not Ofsted, and if my LA say it to me I will say "excellent idea, you write them and I'll display them"

Sitting firming on the 'I'm not doing it' side of the fence - why would I re write the EYFS?

pw

• Like 2

Wow SueJ the detail you have included is amazing (and my word the time it took you must have been enormous)

I'm with the revolt though - spent blinking weeks doing the last ones, was v.proud of the beautifulness...and that's what they remained, 'beautiful' and I for one like 'usefulness' over 'beautifullness' (esp as I don't think it's even a word!) and shall be quoting the line that new eyfs is aimed at reducing paperwork!!! (we could start a 'green' movement 'Save our trees'!!)

We now document HOW the CP areas (as well as focus activities) support learning via the planning room journal BUT only if it's significant...not for the sake of it!

If the adults leading the play (and therin lies a different management issue) are all trained and understand how to support critical thinking (where did Sustained Shared Thinking go?) then we shouldn't need to list out all the potential learning opportunities in each area as these should be inherent in the overall provision.

Am I going mad?

Have I missed the point?

Is there a parapet I can duck down behind?

pw x

I don' think you are going mad and nor do you need a parapet!

In addition to our highly trained /experienced staff we support/mentor students studying at level 2 and level 3. The continuous provision signage has been invaluable and external agencies have commented favourably so for us they are being updated/revamped and will be up all shiny and new in September. Parents like them too, all the talking, special information evenings etc etc are great but for some, they like to see it in print - as is often the case it's perhaps what works for one setting is not the case in another.

• Like 1