Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 Year Progress Check

Helen

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork......we have the 2 yr check (new), a tansition meeting with parents when children move from 2yrs to 3 yrs, a transition meeting/report with parents when child leaves to go to school/nursery at school, speach and language check between 2-3yrs to ensure the children are on track...all to be done whilst still in ratio as the committee cannot afford to pay extra for cover whilst we hold these meetings. We are fortunate in that we get paid 30 mins per child per half term to complete obs/scrapbooks etc and this equates to over 60 extra man hours!!! They now want us to have a language co-ordinator in each setting, lots of training on offer, but would mean that staff having more responsibility but guess what no extra money or time allowed....not sure if anyone is going to voounteer!??

Moan over ...for now!

Have a two and a half year old with very obvious ( to us and visiting professionals) needs. Thought I'd get ahead of the game re 2 yr check and chat to mum about how we would be doing this next term with him etc etc. Mum not over concerned about his lang/ interaction etc but was happy to share with me :). We chatted about how hes developing at home and what we are seeing at playgrouo in a friendly relaxed way....setting the scene........Following week Mum tells me 'Oh HV came to do that 2 yr check'. Great i say 'how did it go.'?.......(hopeful). Mum says Oh fine...HV says hes developing well, co operative. ( not ) just a bit behind with his talking!!! No suggestion of SALT. no mention of lack of eye contact, reaction to name called, pushs everything of tables, drops everything to floor, walks around boundary of room, sensory licking,eating of sand, paint, water tray, no interaction......... OOOKAAYY I say........beam me up Scotty!!

'Next............ ???

Have you got his HV details on file? Could you write a note to 'add your findings to hers' ?

Yes, will certainly be following this up with HV and as Finleysmaid says Mum may not have 'heard'.

Edited by Rafa

Sitting here trying to think of a 'quirky' name for our Progress check document? We already have All about Me sheets for something else! Thought it may make the checks more parent friendly...any ideas??

I like the thought of making the 2 year check parent friendly we are worried about how this two year check can affect the relationship between settings and parents as mentioned when parents don't want to accept there may be some concerns over development

it's a different relationship between parent and health visitors and that professional distance can make a big difference,

We do a summative report three times a year at the end of each term we will replace either the first or second terms report with a two year check summative report I think if done alongside the learning journey the two year check shouldn't become a mammoth task to adapt into current practice.

Our big concern is that so many children (in our area atleast) don't go to preschools, nursery or childminders but rely on family for childcare needs they wait for nursery funded sessions there's going to be alot of children who will not get this development check, so if the health visitors aren't doing the development checks more children could be slipping through the net

Alison our health visitors don't do a progress check now (they will if you request it but this offer is rarely offered or taken up!) Having thought about this progress check for a while now it makes me uneasy that i am being expected to do this so early on in the relationship between pre-school and parents. We have, and always will, bring up any concerns with the parents if we have them but some parents are harder to 'reach' than others and take more time to settle in.....others i would have to say are not interested at all. How am i supposed to get my working parents to take a day off (or do evening or????) if they refuse what do i do ...all i can do is to record that they refused!! I wouldn't mind if the back up was there but SALT take at least 6 months to kick into action, our EP team has halved, the OT's have a 6 month window to respond and we currently have a very reduced learning and disabilities dept. (they act as our 'senco') i also work with 3 boroughs all of which have different criteria so not an easy way to go on!!!

I like the idea that we are being asked to be the professionals we are but the timeing stinks! we are one of those settings that take children just under 3....it is tempting to say start on thier 3rd birthday...then i don't have to do it!!!!!

P.s. i am also rather fed up of sending children to appointments and the parents come back and say everything is AOK when it clearly isn't!!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

does anybodt know if we need to do a 2 year check even if the health visitor has done one? probably a very silly question sorry trying to get my head around these changes. If anybody also has any templates for a daily room planner it would be very much appreciated. :blink:

does anybodt know if we need to do a 2 year check even if the health visitor has done one? probably a very silly question sorry trying to get my head around these changes. If anybody also has any templates for a daily room planner it would be very much appreciated. :blink:

Hi - yes, according to my SIP we do :1b

• Like 1

Our EYIO (our version of SIP) has told us that not needed for rising 3's and we can delay newbies who only come a couple of sessions a week. A lot of our just turned 2's have had their health visitor check. We're aiming to get them done for Jan 2013. We've already picked up a couple of concerns - that's the problem really - it's the children who don't attend settings that fall through the net.

Their doesn't seem much joined up thinking in our area as we have had no contact from Health Visitors and don't even have an up to date contact list so just have to contact health clinic and GP's surgeries if we want to contact them.

korkycat

Yes, because you will be looking for different things to the H.V's and all people who look after the child should have some type of input to give a rounded picture of the child.

Our EYIO (our version of SIP) has told us that not needed for rising 3's and we can delay newbies who only come a couple of sessions a week. A lot of our just turned 2's have had their health visitor check. We're aiming to get them done for Jan 2013. We've already picked up a couple of concerns - that's the problem really - it's the children who don't attend settings that fall through the net.

Their doesn't seem much joined up thinking in our area as we have had no contact from Health Visitors and don't even have an up to date contact list so just have to contact health clinic and GP's surgeries if we want to contact them.

korkycat

It 'amazes' me we get such differing advice :blink: :1b

• 2 months later...

As most of our children started in September this term sees us having to start our 2 year checks, just wondered how everyone was finding it?

How indepth are you all going?

Are you basically looking at the child's achievements in the 22 - 36 mth age band?

Do you all have an area to add next steps or are you leaving it just as their achievements?

Does anyone have a report that they have actually used yet that they would be willing to share?

We did all our september starters in late november and early december as we have another batch of littlies starting this week. We looked at each childs acheivements in the prime areas along with some ancedotal comments (from our obs) and then annotated which age band (some were still in 16-26 months) they were working in and added a learning priority statement (next step) for each of the 3 areas. One A4 sheet which took about 15 -20 minutes to complete, we then spent time with each set of parents going over it with them and they took them home to add their comments.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)