Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Development Matters Statements

Thank you for this. It's interesting to see other people's different ways of doing things. I might just be going to do a more major revamp of our learning journeys than I had intended, but eventually ending up with less paper and happier staff.

Big THANK YOU to everyone who has posted their hard work for the DM statements. You have save me hours of work which I need to use instead on studying for the E105 course. From one very stressed student, mum and Manager of pre-school thank you once again you wonderful ladies. :1b

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for the downloads - you are all fantastic and it's just so good to know that there are others people out there - it stops me panicking and you all manage to answer the questions that I have - brilliant. Thank you.

I have one question about your booklets - do you just use them as a reference for you and your staff or do you show them to the parents as well. I currently include highlighted statements at the back of the learning journeys and reference them to the obs in the main part of the journeys. This works ok but in order to fit the statements on a reasonable amount of paper I have had to print them so they are tiny and looking at your booklet it seems so much clearer to look at for staff but quite a lot to include in the learning journeys.

Just wondering whether I may change my learning journeys to just include photos, work and obs and keep the developmental matters statements just for staff purposes with maybe a general summary for parents (like an extension of the 2 year old check but for each term). We have a record of development that we complete for the local authority which is passed to the schools - just wondering whether to replace this with the general summary as well. Would be grateful for any comments.

Talk about less paperwork!

EJAB

Hi, I used these with old statements, relevant sticky notes, photos etc go in boxes down side, parents can add to them if they want to but I also include a blank 'notes from home' in LJ's with a page explaining what/why we keep them and asking them to add things we don't see their children achieve at home. I did change / scaled it down recently for a few children starting as I didn't want to use old ones with changes coming but staff preferred original formats so have gone back to it with new development matters areas/statements that were kindly put up at beginning of this thread, I have revised the 'specific areas' now too if wanted but only in the age bands relevant to our setting at the moment.

Has anyone else found some of the new development statements confusing? For example under 40- 60 the statement in Literacy-Reading says "Hear and say the initial sounds in words" , and then in Literacy - Writing says " Hears and says the initial sounds in words". So do they both mean what they say i.e when you notice a child can hear and say the initial sounds in words, they have covered both statements, or am i missing something here? Why is hearing and saying in both categories? Confused....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Now, unless i'm missing something i read the ELG (and the steps of goals from birth leading up to the sumative goal) as under the heading of the principle 'Unique Child' instead of under 'Developmental Matters'. Our planning has always been laid out with the activity and one of the goals that we are aiming to achieve. Am i understanding it wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow fantastic!!!! I had just converted the original pdf to word format to create something like this.. so this is perfect and saved me lots of time!

Edited by boltonnurseries

This is my slightly shorter version 16 pages including front cover, 15 without.

Smaller font, less spaces.

Just printing it off - so would you add this to each children learning journey?

Our LJs are always available for the children to access so the development matters statements go alongside but are not stuck in our LJs as they are too precious. Each sticky label obs is referenced to a DM statement and the DM statement is highlighted and dated. The Dm booklets are available for parents to see whenever they like. We use these booklets to analyse our provision, trek childrens progress etc. It has helped hugely in reducing staff workload especially when identifyng next steps for children.

Kxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)