Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Train Topic Boxes

Hi all

I have a small group of boys who are train mad. Could you please help with some ideaa to make into a resource box to enhance their play. I have found books on steam trains, train driver hats and costumes. Planned a trip to the local train station and if all the paper work allows a train ride. We have painted pictures track printing etc.

Any ideas would be great.

Fi

Thankfully I am not a trainspotter but have you thought about tickets, children planning journeys to where they might want to go by train (lots of opportunities for map making and mark making, other types of trains such as the bullet train in japan and freight trains, could incorporate taking pictures of each other to make season tickets, small hole punches to punch tickets, cheap roll of labels to make a ticket roll (you can tell my age here as modern train travel has none of these!), lollipop sticks to make a train track

Also whilst not fitting into a box - make their own train and carriages using large cardboard boxes

Sandwich and drink making for the buffet car?

• 5 years later...

We are doing a transport theme, breaking it down to 'Land''Air''Rail''Road' and 'Sea'.

This week we are looking at 'Rail' the 'All aboard' game sounds good, I will try this game today. Not sure about the whistles though, I will introduce one to see how noisy it gets, we have mostly boys, so could be interesting.

I seem to remember an action song called 'Get on board' that we did many years ago, but I can't remember the words, can anyone help?

Take a Train Ride - Line up chairs. Put a number on each chair. Give each child a train 'ticket' with a number. Choose one child to be the ticket taker and mark the tickets with a hole punch (or something similar). Let each child find their seat number.

Play Conductor Says - Train variation of Simon Says. Have the child who is the Conductor, wear a Conductor hat.

HOOK ON THE TRAIN

brown_bullet.gif

One child is chosen to be the engine of a train.

brown_bullet.gif

This child chugs around the room and then backs up into another child.

brown_bullet.gif

The new child connects onto the train by grabbing on to the waist of the engine.

brown_bullet.gif

Then these two children chug around the room and back into another child.

brown_bullet.gif

The game continues until all of the children have hooked onto the train.

want to include messy play in this??? try setting up the train track in compsost/green rice for grass/turf for real grass/snow(pretend or real!!) where is the train going ...set it up with zoo/farm/small world shops /superhero land!! etc etc take the trains outside and set them up going around flower beds /down the garden/through the playground etc etc if you have 'bridge' pieces you can also create a high rise track using bricks which allows you to go over things or make a viaduct with water underneath ...you can make this from a tin foil rill

...I could go on 20 years of train play makes you quite inventive I think :lol: the tricky bit is thinking what you need to teach the children and how you can do this through trains :blink: :blink:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)