Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hedgehogs And Autumn

klc106

Hi

Have any of you lovely people got any great ideas linked to the theme of hedgehogs or autumn. Our children are all 2 years old. We love like to

do some sort of cooking activity as well as others.

Thanks

clay or playdough bodies with cut up straws for spines/spikes

make hedgehog dens with box and get children to collect leaves for bedding...not authentic but can talk about hibernation etc

percy and the park keeper has a great story where hedgehogs keep popping balloons and he puts corks on them but can't remember which one it is sorry

Today I made brown play dough (used cocoa powder to make it brown so smelt lovely). Children made hedgehog shapes and added spaghetti for spikes - they loved it. Lots of children who aren't usually interested in the play dough table went over there! Could also do hand prints then add eyes to look like hedgehogs. Have fun!

We actually made clay hedgehogs today

Roll clay into ball

Pinch one edge for snout

Poke two holes with pencil for eyes

Use fork over body to represent spikes

All children loved this - it was easy for them to do and within a few minutes made a representation model of a hedgehog

Brown handprints make good hedgehogs, or in the past we've covered a hedgehog shape with loads of brown ash tree seeds stuck on with pva, joggly eye and black nose, they looked lovely - ties Autumn in too as there's loads of seeds out there now

Could only find autumn ones

Preschool education have some lovely easy ones to well known tunes.

Autumn Leaves (tune of I hear thunder)

Leaves are falling

Leaves are falling

To the ground

To the ground

Look at all the colours

Look at all the colours

Red yellow brown

Red yellow brown

(The Wheels on the Bus)

The leaves on the trees turn orange and brown, orange and brown, orange and brown,

the leaves on the trees turn orange and brown all through the town.

The leaves on the treecome falling down,falling down, falling down

the leaves on the tree come falling down all through the town.

The leaves on the ground go swish swish swish, swish swish swish, swish swish swish,

the leaves on the ground go swish swish swish all through the town

Mulberry bush tune - need a pile of leaves for this one...

This is the way we pick up the leaves, pick up the leaves, pick up the leaves. This is the way we pick up the leaves, because they’ve fallen down!. (Each child picks up a leaf in the middle of the circle)

This is the way we throw the leaves, Throw the leaves, throw the leaves. This is the way we throw the leaves, because they’ve fallen down! (Each child throws their leaf into the middle of the circle)

This is the way we jump on the leaves, jump on the leaves, jump on the leaves This is the way we jump on the leaves, because they’ve fallen down. (Each child jumps forward into the circle)

Leaves (sung to Frere Jaque)

Leaves are changing,Leaves are changing.

All around, All around

Red, yellow and orange, Red, yellow and orange.

Some are brown, Some are brown

Leaves are falling,Leaves are falling

To the ground, To the ground

Floating on the breeze, Floating on the breeze

Down, down, down. Down, down, down

and try here.preschool express.. always find a song or two to use..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

just had to put this poem in somewhere... maybe for the older ones who could appreciate the 'joke' , but they all liked it anyway..

Red leaves, orange leaves, yellow leaves, brown.

Big leaves, little leaves, crinkled on the ground!

Everywhere are falling leaves –

Mother Nature, did you sneeze? ahhh-choo!

Movements:

Line 1: Pat knees on the beat

Line 2: Spread hands wide, then make them almost touch. Then pat floor quickly.

Line 3: Swirl hands overhead

Line 4: Questioning hands our to sides, then big fakey sneeze into your elbow!

• 10 months later...

I found hedgehog number rhymes in a number sack on amazon that my class have really enjoyed, great for 'playing and exploring' and 'critical thinking'. 1 for adding, 1 for take away and also lots of measuring. I used it as stimulus for maths circle time inititally and then added it to number area, led to lots of problem solving. I now need another one!

http://www.amazon.co...49503941&sr=8-1

• 1 month later...

Alibutterflies I received my hedgehog pack in the post this morning and I have to agree it looks fab. I have planned it in for small group focus during Mathematics and I am sure it will get chosen by the children during C.I.L. time.

I am introducing hibernation next week and plan to change one of my role play cosy corners into a hibernation hub or cave, so exciting!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)