Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Achondroplasia

Hi,

I am a nursery teacher and have a child starting in September who has achondroplasia. I wondered if anyone had any advice or tips for me so that I can ensure the child can access the setting indepedently etc. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

What research have you already done into this condition and how it affects children's learning and development? Have you spoken to the parents about the kind of support they provide at home?

Yes, I've read lots on ther condition, but I haven't found a lot that is helpful for teachers! I've had lots of meetings with mum who also has achodroplasia, which has helped. We have also observed the child in the setting with an OT who has advised us on resources to buy, but have come to the conclusion that a step is the best option rather than buying in special chairs that adults would have to help the child on to.

i have had a child with me before with williams syndrome which causes children to be very small. we supplied a step to put under her chair so that she could sit properly. Small sized uniform which we organised from our supplier...other than that we had no problems but i guess it would depend on their size and abilities, as Maz says investigate with parents ...we always do a home visit with children who have additional difficulties. We also have a physio chair which is useful for supporting walking/mability if this is a concern :o

HEllo,

We had a child with Achondroplasia and really there was not a lot that we had to do to help him negotiate the setting as, being a nursery, all the furniture was just about the right height. We had a step for him for the toilet when needed. His main difficulty was the size of his head inproportion to the rest of his body. It was large and this made it difficult for him to get up from a lying position. HE was an extremely determined child who did not want 'special' treatment and would ask for help when needed.

However, as you know, all children are individulas and will need different support. We fond that the parents were the greatest help.

When this child goes to school is a time for outside agencies to become involved as school furniture is much bigger adn more reasonable adjustments will need to be made.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies :o I wanted to ensure I was doing everything I could for her in terms of accessing the setting so responses were very helpful indeed!

Enjoy the last couple of weeks of the holidays.

Hi

Just wanted to add that my brother has Achondroplasia and all of your responses sound very good. He has always been well supported in school by being provided with stools, special chairs (as not so much now but later when sat at the desk for a long time, short legs can dangle becuse they can't reach the floor and this can be uncomfortable), when starting school I remeber my dad making a special stool to help him reach in the toilet, as well as going into the school to put up a lower coat peg, don't know if this is something you have thought of

The main thing really is helping the child to be as independent as possible and to be able to take part in the same things as the other children.

You should find some good links on Annie-pops link, if I remember rightly they produce a booklet about starting school, so that might be useful, I know my mum has always given the booklet to new schools so that they know what to expect.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know. My brother has just finished secondary school and is eagerly awaiting his GCSE results tomorrow and in September he is starting college studying maths, biology, chemistary and physics, rather him than me!

Hannah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)