Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End-of-year Reports For Nursery Children

Morning all :o

Report-writing season is underway and I'm due to get started with the reports for my 63 nursery children. Before I do, I'm interested to know what kinds of formats other nursery teachers use for their reports... The previous nursery teacher shared her reports from last year with me, but they seem a bit formal. For example, "Fred* recognises some 2D shapes and numbers to 10 consistently and is beginning to recognise numbers to 20 with some inconsistencies. He is also beginning to show an understanding of simple calculation and combining two groups to make a total... He recognises 16 graphemes and knows their corresponding phoneme and is beginning to identify most initial sounds in words. Fred is making good progress in writing his name." The reports end with two targets; one for CLL and one for PSRN. They reflect the attitudes towards nursery of the staff I work with and also a lot of the children's parents, but in my opinion they don't present a truly rounded picture of each child. The EYFS places no emphasis on CLL or PSRN, so why should my reports?

I'll have to go with what my school wants at the end of the day, but I'm curious about the way in which other nursery teachers write their reports.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts xD

*The child's name has been changed!

At present the EYFS places emphasis on all 6 areas, so a report should show all.

our reports show in all areas and all aspect where we are currently planning for our child

it shows WBI scores and what part of L&S they have covered

it shows if the child has had additional support ie speech and language, has a CAF or is on IEP's etc

we also discuss with the child what he enjoys doing, what he is good at and what he dislikes about nursery

we get the parent to read and sign giving permission to pass it on. Our children also leave with learning journals, we will also advise parents this year to share these with reception teacher as these speak volumes and shows what the child has achieved

hope that was useful

Hi

I do not write reports for the nursery children as the Unique Story and transition form covers what would be on a report(kent). we also meet with the parents to discuss their child.

sorry dont have copy on laptop

we also in Kent but we dont use 'My Unique Story' - not keen on it and we have a version of our own with the adapted form that KCC have put together this year.

We also talk to parents but having had lots of meetings with teachers they have been the ones asking for more info

We dont do my unique story because we have really lovely learning journals.

thanks Seur,

you seem to have the same set up as us - we are a pack away by that I mean everything displays, tables, resources everything.

Hi

we don't do reports either, we have lovely learning journeys that follow children's time with us and are regularly shared with parents, then at transition we copy the last summary sheet (which we do every term) that has all six areas on it and just a flavour of what the child has done. example:- Fred as really enjoyed dressing up as a super hero this term and acting out stories with his friends or something like that... then put this with a cohort table which is names of children and where they are at a glance in all six areas.

parents are happy for us to pass this on, i have a meeting with the teacher where I can discuss children and where they are at and maybe if they need extra support or are needing more challenge.

does that help?

xx

thanks - i do reports 6 main areas of learning plus a comments to tie all areas together. This goes to the parent and onto the next provison

I also do a learning journey with photographs and art to go home with the parent or to carry through until the next year this is reveiwed on a termly basis. and the children love it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)